thescrapman wrote:
or perhaps a 1500fwd, as one of those last ran 30 years ago.

That's the back-up car in case anything goes disastrously wrong with the 2000!  ;D

However, I'm not convinced I'd want to do the RBRR in that - it's not anywhere near as comfortable as the 2000, and it's a bit too low-geared for my liking; 4000-odd RPM at 65mph
It even FEELS like it's revving its' nads off  ??)

But Doug, you're a big lad - and in my opinion a bit limp-wristed but then you live so far away from me.

So you do have size on your side although I gather that that's something that's not often said in the same sentence as the words "Doug Foreman". ::)

Or was the woman I was speaking to mistaken?  She was rather short sighted and a bit hirsute if truth be known.

Jim.

MWG445 wrote:
..."OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD THEO!"
How many times did I utter those words? ;)
Those stains never did come out of the upholstery ...

So that's what you mumbling in your sleep.
As for the stains ... :X (see attached piccie) ...so it wasn’t water leaking in through the tail gate after all  :P

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I know. No-one would own up!
They'd be interesting stats though. You could compare ratio of fatal breakdowns (i.e. people that don't finish) to "roadside repairable" (i.e. people that breakdown but finish) ones accross each model.
Anyway, as you say, without paid spies (or an extremely cheap bonnet lifting counter!), a little too extravagant! It might be nice to ask people to voluntarilly provide the stats?

Depends on just how pickey you want to be:

On the last two RBRR's the car's that I was in only opened the bonnet to check oil, water ect.  In 06 we had somthing amiss with the rear end.  Slight vibration at high speed and at times a slight sway.  No real problem and we made the run.

In 08 again no real problem.  On Sunday we noticed our volt meter was reading no more than 12 volts.  At the Dartmore stop we tighten the fan belt.  Porblem solved.  I think the real problem was we left the rear window defroster on!  No light !

On the way to Lands End we stoped a Herald with dodgy brake lights.  Left route for a service area with plenty of lights.  Bill replaced the wroung spring on pedel for the guy.  Quick fix and we were off.  

At the Plough before the run we gave 2 headlights to a fellow Dolomite as his were shot.  

I know Tim thinks the non-finishers were too high last time.  Question is how many of the old timers vrs the newbies broke down?  Somethings can't be prepaired for like on the 06 run when Carl and Beckie lost their windscreen.   Who knew the Chubby team would brake a wheel bearing?

Kinda like when my car lost it's fan on the 10CR.  How do you know or prevent a clutch fan from seeezzzeeeing!  Ahead of time?

Archived