This is our first RBRR, but I have been advised that even the shortest journey home from Enfield is harder than the rest of the event. After circa 2000miles in 48hrs, the 150miles back to Donny may well be the proverbial straw. Anybody got any tips for where to stop overnight before going home monday a.m?
Is there an after RBRR party of some sort? As we wouldn't want to be too far from that. :)

Colin.

Quite a few stay having a few drinks and a meal at The Plough at the end, some clearing off at 23.00hrs. However most have a celebratory drink, a quick chat and then go off home.

Many crews stay at the Travelodge near jct 25 on the M25 on the Sunday night.

Can't say that I agree with the comments about the drive home being the most tiring aspect of the RBRR. I think its the section of the route from Gordano to LE that is the bad bit, especially near Bodmin.

timbancroft61 wrote:

Can't say that I agree with the comments about the drive home being the most tiring aspect of the RBRR. I think its the section of the route from Gordano to LE that is the bad bit, especially near Bodmin.

You do live quite close to the Plough though Tim, lots of it is psychological, the thought of a long drive home can have an effect after the adrenalin has worn off.

And they don't sell adrenalin over the bar at the Plough.

The Charltons found a nice B&B about 10 mins North of the M25 for before the 10CR, it very quickly gets "rural" when going north, so do a search of the villages round there, Newgate Street, Essendon, that sort of area.

Cheers

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

97679 wrote:
I'd agree that the worst part is Gordano to Lands End.   After 5 RBRR's I've never had a problem returning back to Dorset after the meal and drink at The Plough.

Nick I agree about gordano to LE however if a 2 man crew a long drive after the plough is very hard going!
It was certainly easier as a 3 man crew.....I must admit I've neer driven the home stretch....I'm going by my co drivers thoughts as I do like a beer ;D

Me and Steve did our first RBRR in 08, we decided to get a sleep at the Travellodge after the event, and boy did we need it. I would advise anyone who has to drive over a couple of hours home from the finish to grab an overnight stay. It cost me and Steve £40. and was worth is in Safety terms alone.

Rob  

Safety, Safty as I think all agree.  My first RBRR (long story) someone picked up Jason and myself for the ride back to Reading.  I was so tired I was asleep the whole trip and did not even reconize the driver!  My second RBRR again I did not drive back to Reading, That Bill did and the three of us were tired.   Don't push it! The cost of a room is wroth it.  This time my team only has to get back to Luton.  

Theo and I stayed at the Theobalds Park Hotel only about 4 miles from the Plough just over the M25, off the A10.

Just checked out the price, currently £29 room only for a twin room on the Sunday night.

Have a look at:

www.devere.co.uk

A high quality hotel at less than Premier Inn prices.

Jim.

• 1 month later...

Ok all this comes to mind again, I am in the process of looking at booking a before and after hotel, Before to save the RBRR becoming a 50+ hour event for me and Steve as we have to drive to the start to begin with and after so I can get some well deserved rest.

Dates, I will be looking at the Friday night so we can have a lie in and Mon night afterwards (is this correct?) If we set off on the Sat or is it the Friday????

Rob

"Monday night afterwards"?

By 10:00am, you'll feel fine for the drive north.

We did last time and we had 400 miles to do!

Bag a hotel very, very close to the finish.  You'll feel so tired on the Sunday night, I fell asleep with a beer in my hand in the hotel bar!

Next day, we were all refreshed and up for the drive home.

Jim.

Fell asleep with a BEER in you hand?  Overhere one could be SHOT for that!  Me thinks one team has their SHORTS on way Tooooo Tight!  If they start out on Saturday and return Monday me thinks they missed the run.  Thankfully I will only have to get back to Luton unless of course I fall asleep before hand, but at least I woun't have to be the driver.  My only worry is if the Plough has enough BEER, after all it will have been about 4 days since I will have had any.  

Friday night you are sleeping in teh car!!! You need a bed for Sunday night.

Phil Charlton found a nice B&B about 10 mis from the Plough for teh 10CR I seem to remember.

There is a Premier Inn next to the News International newspaper print works on teh M25 Junction if all else fails.

Looks for B&B's near Cuffley, Goffs Oak, Newgate Street, Essendon (maybe), Northaw, Brookmans Park, Welham Green, Villages South of Hertford basically. Away from the M25, but not that far away.

Cheers

Colin

Cheers, I am contemplating an overnight on the Thursday then so we can arrive refreshed and hung-over  ;D ;D

No must speak to Steve, its been 2 years since the last RBRR and I was not human afterwards so could not remember if it was Mon or Tue..

Cheers for all your replies.

Rob

Would recommend a stop overnight on the Thursday if you have a long way to go to the Plough.

Beans and I selected the Old Stone Trough even though it was still a good distance to go on to the Plough, so that we could meet up with Raider and Rumpith.

We had insisted on taking it easy but ended up with at least 5 pints each and then Beans topped it all off with a curry!

The long drive south gave us time to recover!

This year, we'll probably go further south, Peterborough or Stevenage.

Close enough to the start but not too close so that when we get chucked out about 10:00am, we don't spend the rest of the morning and the afternoon in the Plough car park.

Jim.

bobyspit wrote:
Booked the Sun night at a local travellodge, its £32.00 per couple in a Family room thats  £15 B&B each on early rates at the moment. Well worth it and at the same place we stopped in 2008. Basic but clean and has a br ;)

Which one is that Bobbyspit, cos a family room would be ideal for me, my dad, and my son.

Colin.

Archived