anyone know it this is true?

mikeyb

read this in another club's magazine tonight

"if you breakdown on t French motorway your Euro breakdown policy will be unlikley to recover you from the motorway.  This is because all french m/ways are privately owned and the police have to arrange for you to be towed off, for which you will not be re-imbursed"

true or false?

I think it's true, or maybe partly true. I was reading my breakdown cover that comes with Peter.D.James insurance and it said that when you need recovery off French motorways, you will be towed by the Police or their contractors to the nearest service area. From there, the normal recovery takes over. With Peter.D.James insured recovery, you can claim back the police charge if you keep the receipt. Sounds fair enough, as long as they have a mobile credit card machine with them.

Just checked my cover with Footman James, which says:- On many European Motorways or Autoroutes, particularly in France, the Police answer the emergency telephones.  They will arrange for a recovery vehicle to tow you off the motorway either to a local garage or a motorway service station....blurb blurb blurb... you may be required to pay for this service immediately in which case obtain and keep a receipt.
Doesn't say that they will reimburse you, but I guess that's the inference!!

G.in_Belgium wrote:
Don't forget your obligatory silly fluorescent yellow jackets!

Good idea to throw them on the rear parcel shelf in plain sight, that way Le Plod doesn't stop you for a quick on the spot fine for not having them accessible before you step out of the car.

Jason wrote:

Good idea to throw them on the rear parcel shelf in plain sight, that way Le Plod doesn't stop you for a quick on the spot fine for not having them accessible before you step out of the car.

Better under the seat or in teh seat pockets, so you can reach them from your seat.

I too have a tow rope.

In true 70's style where every was attached thus, it look like Mike will have him self a Convoy-on-a-rope.

:-)

Colin

Just got back from the Alps. Was in Albertville and Beaufort yesterday!!

The only people that have their high viz jackets on show are British cars! Come on relax, we've done this before loads of times and never had any problems...haven't we?

A Carrefour 24/7 pertrol station took my debit card...that's an improvement over last time I think?

Maps: Using the maps we used before but with a different highlighter colour + Tom Tom. As for Getting from Nurburgring to Malmedy, well, I'm half German and will have no trouble finding my way from Germany into Belgium!

Breaking down on French motorways...Footman James covered ALL my costs on a previous occassion: recovery, extra night in a hotel and extra ferry costs! All I had to pay were the parts the garage got and fitting!!

GT6_Don wrote:

The only people that have their high viz jackets on show are British cars! Come on relax, we've done this before loads of times and never had any problems...haven't we?

Even the French plod can tell we're British before he sees the high vis in the back window - it's just something I've always done. To be fair to Johny Foreigner's police, they have always been pleased to see us and complementary - even when I was in a 22 foot long Herald!

Relax? C'mon, have you ever known me not relaxed :-)

I was just joining in the Zzzzzzzz.... with the rest of the crew  :-/ T'was my first long distance event and any journey you can walk away from is a good 'un!

So you don't remember my petrol pump / car interface episode then? Good, don't tell anyone  :P

Archived