Progress on 10CR knackered cars...

ferny

GT6_Don wrote:
Steve/Rob - you're just organising a few beers aren't you?

Good to hear that its nothing serious, so it could have been fixed at the road side, oh well.

I had a rattle that more or less started as we left Enfield, turns out that the replacement spacer I fitted to clear the new rad fan went on back to front. Err, rattle gone now.

A few beer wont be the story, I will have to get Lisa to pick him up and drop him off :)

Thanks again Don, you were the only one to stop! Never did get you that beer! I am sure I will get the opportunity next run,

Rob

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bobyspit wrote:

A few beer wont be the story, I will have to get Lisa to pick him up and drop him off :)

Thanks again Don, you were the only one to stop! Never did get you that beer! I am sure I will get the opportunity next run,

Rob

Hi Rob
Any idea why it blew??????

Tim

339 wrote:

Hi Rob
Any idea why it blew??????

Tim

I have a good idea Tim,

I fitted a new airbox which took cold air to the K&N's, the airbox worked loose causing a foul running engine, I had a fiddle at the Plough and thought I had a problem with the Megajolt, But no. On the way to the ferry the car was running like a bag of ****, it was using a massive amount of petrol, so we finally pulled up again and opened the bonnet, that is when the co driver Neil noticed the airbox was askew.
On closer inspection we found that the airbox had dropped over the front carb causing as you would expect no air or little air feed to the carb causing the carb to pull petrol into the first two cylinders making it run very very rich and causing this problem.
I bolted all back on and hey no problems ran superb, nice and strong. We passed Ferny on the motorway and gave him a wave.
On getting to the ferry had problem starting and that turned out to be me being a pillock and not turning the fuel switch on.
Well the car ran very well in France when it went POP, a horrible metalic clatter and it stopped.
I think that covers it ;D I have yet to inspect the head, but once inspected it will be bolted on and compression test done before a good run.
I cannot wait to get her running again, I hope to have it at Oulton park in Nov, If not I will be on the blade :)

thescrapman wrote:

Guess what I'm doing when then engine comes outr of my PI next week..... :-)

Is there a way of doing it with the engine intact???

Cheers

Colin

I changed the heater Matrix in a 1966  mk1 2000 without taking the head off or the engine out- take the rocker shaft off and the studs that hold the shaft on-it was fitted with a MK2 engine dont know if that makes any odds?
Its still a sod to change but I managed it

Well.... I managed to break it!!   ;D

not the sort of thing you expect from an Acclaim, but it is not its fault.

Did a uie in andora in a building site usind a concreat block and th exhaust pipe to pivot the car on, resulting in a fractured down pipe ( not suprisingly )which took over 400 miles to fall off
thanks to all who donated bodging bits.

the water pump pully parted company from the pump. This was due to the powder coating going soft and allowing the bolts to vibrate loose. Pinching a bolt out of the wing fixed the issue, and we were back on the road in far less time than it took to get a macs.

Engine a bit sluggish due to the cam belt being out a notch. My fault, will pay more attention next time, but an easy fix none the less.

Car 9 is Home :)

The diagnosis - nowhere near as drastic as feared, according my friendly mechanic, dirty fuel, bunged up fuel filter and knackered fuel pump - flushed out tank, and fuel lines, replaced fuel filter and fitted new fuel pump (my spare from boot!).

Just got her home, filled the tank and gave her a good blast around the lanes, ran perfectly, even the manifold joint is still holding up.  :) :) :) :) :)

No sign of knackered bearings, rings, valves and such like, just the usual rattles inherent in a 33 year old car ;D

Let's see.

After some rather bad noises, loss of oil pressure and power dropping off I pulled into a farm on the A3 at 7am yesterday. Checked my oil and what not and all was fine. Tried to start it and it was very laboured and would only run for a few seconds. With the noises it was making (scrapping, knocking, banging noises) I didn't want it to run for very long at all anyway! Looked at the clock, looked at the time and thought "there's no way I'm gonna get to work by 8am" so phoned up Peter James. Call only lasted five minutes and I even managed to somehow get the woman on the phone to break out of her depressive state and laugh. Got told I'd be picked up at 8:10, got a txt from the AA saying they'd be with me at 7:50 and at 8am they arrived. Wicked!

I told the woman on the phone that it'd need recovering and she said she'd put a note on the system. I expected to have a van turn up and tell me I'd need to wait for a lorry. So I was happy when the guy arrived, took one look at the engine, asked me if there was oil in it and then said "right, let's turn it round so it can be recovered" and then put it onto the back of his van. Most impressed! Even though he was a bit chatty and opinionated the drive wasn't bad and he was a nice guy. He got me home around 10:30/11am. He even said how he was disappointed he wouldn't have been able to fix it.

My first fear was the bottom end. The noises weren't good! But I couldn't understand why it'd fail so suddenly. I've taken the plugs out and found #3 has melted - the others show no other wear marks. Did a dry and wet compression tests with the engine cold and it suggests the valves are ok but the piston/rings on #3 may not be in good shape. But I'm not sure how reliable a cold test is. The car started when I got back home and the noises were nowhere near as bad but I don't want it to run for long at all! Plan of attack is to remove the sump as I want to make sure all is ok there (plus other reasons) and then it'll be off with the head. I expect to find a messy piston and probably valve. After speaking to the Silver Fox who is Dale last night I'm almost certain to find it like that.

Top marks to Peter James and the AA.

No idea. The engine has done a fair few miles since the 10CR. The way it went iffy so suddenly is odd. Timing was done by someone else last Thursday and the carbs were adjusted and again checked by someone just to make sure etc. I wasn't happy with the way it idled but was told it was perfectly smooth so bit my tongue. Did 90 mile trip in it Friday and all was fine. Very slight pinking when loaded (ie, pulling away in 2nd which I don't like being there but anyway...). It still had that nasty hesitation at higher revs though. Did maybe 10-15 miles in it over the weekend and then 30 miles into my next journey it let go.

Probably a combination of many factors finally coming together.

Apart from a snapped dizzy wire and a carb heat shield that fell off in the hotel car park at Beziers, we had a trouble free run.
How ironic that the car has only been out a couple of times since returning and today a front wheel bearing collapsed!
So if the 10CR had been another 100 miles longer we too may have been in trouble before Calais...............unless it was the weight of the beer from the Calais Carrefour that did it
PS did anyone else suffer from the light finger brigade? Getting into the car at Kerkrade to head to Calais and my mate said"where`s your CD player?"
I had made a carpeted rear deck wich included player and speakers.Someone had tried to get the player out eg nick, and forced it into the rear deck cavity.Had to dismantle on return to get the player out  

76Spit wrote:
Spitfire fixed - now gone wrong again :'( :'( :'(

See my blog!

I had this problem whilst driving in ireland.I had the car tuned before we went over, got 98 BHP and was happy .Then had same as you, not pulling would only run on choke.Did same ,changed jets and cleaned whole system.No difference. Took SU carb top off then the piston, turned it upside down and the needle had dropped by 1/8" out of holder in piston.Undid grub screw , pushed it back flush to base of piston and hey presto it was fine

• 2 weeks later...

Archived