Progress on 10CR knackered cars...

ferny

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, mine's got more wrong with it than I realised by the way. Like an engine mount which is very much in two pieces and a rather dead alternator. No idea how it lasted the 10CR. Radiator is half-way to being refitted.

The Spitfire has returned from France :) Strange because the AA had quoted the 12th October, not the 2nd, I guess it was a French 12th!

It is now in the hands of my local engine guru who will have a look tommorrow - I tried to start it but the French garage has disconnected the fuel lines and plugged them so I'll leave it to the expert to analyse the problem. Interestingly there is a small card on the passenger seat showing good pressure (in bar) on all 4 cylinders, so they obviously did a compression test. (If my rudimentary French is correct)

Just to satisfy my own curiosity I did check the fuel in the tank just in case I was stupid enough to do a 'Diesel Dave' and it definately has a 98 Ron smell about it

Well the head came off Monday and good news.

The gasket is holed between pistons 1 & 2,  so no major damage .I will de coke the head whilst it is off and I can inspect the valves when they come out, I am slighlty gutted as I took a spare head gasket and torque wrench on the run.

One quick question, torque settings for the head, they always seem a little low in the book, any suggestions?

Rob

MikeyB wrote:
quite a few people have come accross poor quality new studs that snap.  Many advocate re-using the better quality used originals!

Yep, I re-use the old ones.  Also make sure you use the proper hardened washers (ie the originals) as ordinary bolt shop ones do not work properly!

Nick

tiggrr1 wrote:
Not being an expert on the Spit but I reckon it would be wise to use new cylinder head bolts/studs and as suggested above a little extra tweak whilst tightening them up.

Do you want any help putting it back together Rob?

I will be using the old ones as they are in great nick (brand new really) and are good ones, I have the hardened washers and the last set up had the hardened washers on top of standard washers, the head was really heavly torqued down.

I will give you a bell Steve, I can do the job myself as I have done it a few times before, but I would apreciate the help ;)

Cheers
Rob

Steve/Rob - you're just organising a few beers aren't you?

Good to hear that its nothing serious, so it could have been fixed at the road side, oh well.

I had a rattle that more or less started as we left Enfield, turns out that the replacement spacer I fitted to clear the new rad fan went on back to front. Err, rattle gone now.

GT6_Don wrote:
Steve/Rob - you're just organising a few beers aren't you?

;D ;D ;D Drat you havee seen right through my carefully thought out plan, a couple of hours spannering followed by a cold beer when Robs car springs into life  8) 8) 8)

Archived