Progress on 10CR knackered cars...

ferny

I've got a small list;

Try and find out where the rubbing noise really is coming from so I know for sure.
Refit passenger wiper arm.
General service.
Repair indicator switch.
Double check the timing.
Tune and balance carbs.
Repair exhaust - I think it has a small leak.

What's everyone else go to do?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in the case of both of our cars (since they have the same spec engine built by the same bloke!):

Try and work out why they are using such a horrendous amount of oil ( 13 litres per car to get round europe and back here and they need more in them to get them back to the workshop :( ). We are thinking changing the oil for some really good quality sythetic stuff, removing tohe rocker oil feeds and possibly plumbing in the oil cooler that is in my car just not set up.

on the estate I need to hit the gear stick with my big hammer to make it stop detaching itself from the from the selector rods, remove the exhaust manifold and get the small hole in it welded up so I can keep my eyes opne when I 'm driving.

On the Vitesse we need to get the engine out and check the crank that appeared to be rummbling, get the gearbox out and check the overdrive which is slipping and take off the doors and re hang them so they stop catching on the body when we close the doors.

Still at least we've got two years before the next one to sort it all out :)

1. replace the emergency rear light lense.
2. find the knocking noise from the enginbe that continues to get louder and louder. done 20k miles with it so not terminal, just worrying.
3. buy new tyres
4. buy new hood (maybe!)

Only no. 1 will happen I suspect.. :-)

Colin

p.s. anyone want to pay vast amounts of money for an emergency rear light lense for a roundtail. Folds up very small. Tastes slightly of salt

GigGleR wrote:
in the case of both of our cars (since they have the same spec engine built by the same bloke!):

Try and work out why they are using such a horrendous amount of oil ( 13 litres per car to get round europe and back here and they need more in them to get them back to the workshop :( ). We are thinking changing the oil for some really good quality sythetic stuff, removing tohe rocker oil feeds and possibly plumbing in the oil cooler that is in my car just not set up.

Remove the external rocker feeds!! I predict an instant cure!!  

Mine needs a wash and hoover out and would doubtless appreciate an oil change having failed to completely change it's own on the way round ("only" used about 3l).  Nothing seems to be actually broken though which seems nothing short of miraculous considering the beating it's been given!

Nick

Replace exhaust - the wadding that exploded into Colin's legs on startup one morning is now lost forever I'm afraid. Most of the way round sounding like a tractor did nothing to help headaches and ringing in the ears.

Rebuild head to minimise oil loss. We were contstantly topping up, but at the end 4 litres in 2,930 miles was not as bad as I feared.

Buy an alternator that was not factory-assembled by a circus monkey. And take a spare that does actually work next time.

Get round to fitting the uprated Dolly Sprint rad and headertank into the Spit that lack of prep time made me abandon.

Tighten gearstick knob.

GT6_Don wrote:
Let me see...

6. Oh yes...alternator...must carry a spare...thanks Dave.

......cant remember , did I tell you where to get a cheap uprated alternator?  ;D

Funny ,tinny rattle,looked under the bonnet and as I stared at the engine  the carb,ally heat shield fell off with heat fracture
Rewire cable from dizzy to electronic ignition. Passing Steve Pratt on way to Belize......sorry Beziers and the engine just died whilst on the other side of the road. Coasted in...............however gave chance for a certain 2000  to get its wind back after trying to hang on round corners
Seal oil leaks
Need new Mintex pads....how they wore down I dont know
Anyway back to...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

What a weekend!! Really chuffed with how the TR went and despite the seats being like 2 bags of dust, it was surprisingly comfortable. I need to,

- Fix the handbrake. It was rubbish before we left and even worse now.
- Despite boiling the brakes in that spanish town after the first pyrenees pass, they were fine for the rest of the run. I'd still better check them over.
- Clutch bearing makes a nasty grumble now. I sense a gearbox removal over the winter - I'll ask Mike Helm for tips  :)

Russell.

1. fix the GT6 brakes, broken before the 10CR
2. Fix the co driver knee, looking for a NOS or complete replacement.
3. actually manage to start and complete a 10CR :))

Anyway we had a nice time in Ruldoc, great to see everyone and in a moment of weakness, Jane said she enjoyed being in a the Herald and we did do 5 countries and  about 700 miles......
Had a short detour into German and found an excellent beer shop/supermarket!

Mike and Jane

Waiting for the Spit to be repatriated to find out what really went wrong

Initial diagnosis from the garage in France near Grenoble was that she would only run on 3 cylinders and puff out lots of white smoke!  :-/ - so maybe a dropped valve or broken ring - time will tell.

Nice article in this months Classics Monthly on rebuilding Triumph Engines may come in handy over the winter :)

Cure Tailgate seal... we were getting slowly gassed if windows were open and it sucked the fumes past us. 1 new rear tyre, new discs as they got a beating in the Pyrenees and never recovered juddering like mad for the rest of the journey, probably a new rad as it couldn't cope with the great Andoran Jam at all.

RussellBanyard wrote:
What a weekend!! Really chuffed with how the TR went and despite the seats being like 2 bags of dust, it was surprisingly comfortable. I need to,

- Despite boiling the brakes in that spanish town after the first pyrenees pass, they were fine for the rest of the run. I'd still better check them over.
- Clutch bearing makes a nasty grumble now. I sense a gearbox removal over the winter - I'll ask Mike Helm for tips  :)

Russell.

It is easy:
Fine a quiet road
set up a warning triangle
borrow a trolley jack
wait for the sun to shine and bring the temperature to over 30 degrees
try taking a seat out
borrow an allen key
take seat out
take tunnel out
take gearbox out
fix problem
fine someone to lift gearbox back in (thanks Willi and Paul)
put in 3 bolts
replace interior
job done

AndyF

RussellBanyard wrote:

Russell.
   easy just find a quite country in france regards michael

RussellBanyard wrote:

Russell.
   easy just find a quite country in france regards michael

Went to drive the Stag yesterday - it wouldn't start.  By a process of susbstitution, I concluded that the Lumenition module had packed up.  I swapped back to the old just to confirm it, lo and behold it worked  :P

Turned out to be a deformed pin making a bad contact in the plug between module & dizzy.

Glad it never happened on 10CR!

Cheer up Rob.

Dying to know what happened to the engine, I said at the time that it might have seized but the alternative is that you might have holed the front two pistons or damaged the valves. I suppose the clue is that it was only half the engine! Having said all that I am still suspicious of the ignition.

Put some quieter old back-boxes on last night, that I had in the shed, and went for a drive to Dunmow today to pick up some more Millers Classic Sport oil. What didn't get burnt over the last weekend is now quite black, so an oil change is in order I think. (My god, that oil is expensive.... £36 for 5 litres. Can we not club together and become a Millers authorised outlet, and buy it at trade?)

Anyway, the car ran really well for the 90 mile round trip with no signs of trouble from the abuse it got on the 10CR. The water level has not needed topping up since before the run, despite the temp gauge needle being well in the red going up the Pyrenees. In fact, apart from the exhaust and alternator falling apart (which are aftermarket parts anyway) the "Triumph" part of the car did fantastically well considering it's 41 years old. Tough old thing.

GT6_Don wrote:
Cheer up Rob.

Dying to know what happened to the engine, I said at the time that it might have seized but the alternative is that you might have holed the front two pistons or damaged the valves. I suppose the clue is that it was only half the engine! Having said all that I am still suspicious of the ignition.

I think the Megajolt is faultless, the problem is in pistons 1 & 2 and there is no compression, so it could be 1. holed pistons? (not likley) 2. Knackered valves (again not my guess) 3. knackered piston rings (my choice) but all will become clear when the head comes off.

PS Thanks for stopping you were the only Triumph that did!

sparky_spit wrote:
(My god, that oil is expensive.... £36 for 5 litres. Can we not club together and become a Millers authorised outlet, and buy it at trade?

Colin & I already do this - I buy in bulk and get it for about £26-£27 if I recall, but the chap I buy from did say the next lot will be dearer due to Millers upping the price :-(

Archived