Ten CR Corrective measures

Velocita Rosso

Well, after washing down two cars, I started on checking the Spitfire for corrective measures, as developed on the run
New fuse holder and fuse..............when preparing for the run ,inadvertantly put a 15 amp fuse in for 100watt spots, and it melted :(
Topped up break fluid.................egg cup full ,after so much braking and wear, and they were Mintex 1155`s, god help normal pad
Polished my two new tyres ............obtained in Kerkrade, Holland, after leaving a trail of rubber across the continent
Topped up with a pint of oil...........after using 1.5. ltrs , and no water loss

So I was best pleased on the car`s mechanical performance.........but still looking for a mouse   squeaking at the back somewhere!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

michael_charlton wrote:

Polished my two new tyres ............obtained in Kerkrade, Holland, after leaving a trail of rubber across the continent
!

I think you need to revert your rear suspension to standard and work out what is causing the odd tyre wear!!!

I suspect iffy rear alignment and dodgy shocks.

The alignment has ripped the inner edges off and the socks are causing the bald patches if I remember my '70's public information films correctly.

Cheers

Colin

thescrapman wrote:

I think you need to revert your rear suspension to standard and work out what is causing the odd tyre wear!!!

I suspect iffy rear alignment and dodgy shocks.

The alignment has ripped the inner edges off and the socks are causing the bald patches if I remember my '70's public information films correctly.

Cheers

Colin

Sorted already:
Buying adj radius arms
Four wheel alihgnment ( as its `crabbing`)
Adj shocks to more softer ride (Set too hard at the moment)
Buying 5.5 J wheels as the 6J are too wide for 175s
Have correct length half shafts

So then it should be sorted

Lets see:

TR4 : added about half a pint of oil and a cup of water, Gotta check the voltage stabilizer wiring since the temp gauge is reading wierd.

Vitesse : Half a pint of oil, Fix collapsed bush in rear wishbone

2000 Estate : Errr, retrieve from continent, strip tank, drain tank, clean tank, strip fuel lines, replace fuel lines, mutter, curse, use extreme invective  :-/

Till the break down on top of the Timmelsjoch nothing needed filling up.
Now I'll have to wait till car gets back, after that;
• repair minor body + suspension damage;
• find a new tyre + align and recoat wheel;
• fit new clutch (ordered today);
• rebuild gearbox (sourced today) + fit it.

I've been pondering on the fuel pump/ fuel tank issues that a lot of people seemed to suffer with (including myself)

I noticed yesterday that my (fairly recent) inline fuel filter was dark and discoloured inside.

I wonder if the crappy and expensive european petrol has been clearing crud off from inside our fuel tanks?

Hmmmn.

Fix the fuel vapourization problem.... our water cooling system for the fuel pump helped but dont think its  along term solution as you need a very co operative passenger and a supply of water!

I am going for a boot mounted or under floor pump and pressure regulator, reroute the fuel pipe around the bulkhead, improve the shield between the carbs and exhaust (will make it double skin) and fit an air inlet box around the carbs to get fresh cold air from the front of the car. Might dump the K&N filters and go for something original even if it means loosing a bit of power.

One of the rear UJ is clicking and will need replacing, steering rack seems to have got a bit of play in it which could explain the wheel wobble (even after having them balanced) and the steering coulmn bushes have worn! And the radio has packed up (its/was a nice Bosch DAB one  :((( )

So plenty to do over the winter but the car is still running and has taken me to work all this week. I think it likes being back in the Cambridge flat lands...

Will send back my none pumping 3 month old electric fuel pump and get my money back from it!

Mike

MikeyB wrote:
I've been pondering on the fuel pump/ fuel tank issues that a lot of people seemed to suffer with (including myself)

I noticed yesterday that my (fairly recent) inline fuel filter was dark and discoloured inside.

I wonder if the crappy and expensive european petrol has been clearing crud off from inside our fuel tanks?

Hmmmn.

Drained the original tank that had been pluggeed to accomodate the `new` tank and all the fuel was blue in colour ??

My improvements and corrective measures (If I was on the same run  again) would be......

Fit a bigger radiator, swap the viscous fan for a manual one and fit an elctric fan.  :o

Possibly fit a Rover P6 'boot lid type' spare wheel carrier so I can carry two spare wheels!  ;D

I did think that the standard 2000 engine in the 'big saloon' struggled a bit up the climbs as well, but then fitting a 2500 probably might not give me the excellent fuel economy I acheived?  8)

michael_charlton wrote:

Drained the original tank that had been pluggeed to accomodate the `new` tank and all the fuel was blue in colour ??

yep, my inline filter does look decidedly blue.

def no E10, drove on vapours a few times to avoid that!

did fill a few times with 95 ron + 5% ethanol as that was all to be had