I would like to hear opinions on a dilemma I have - which car should I use in 2013 for the 10CR?

Option 1 - TR7 DHC (soft top for non wedge fans). This would be great for the Alps and wonderful weather expected 8) There's also something great about driving overnight with the top down :)

Option 2 - my 1970 2000 Mk2. This would allow me to have a 3 man crew and take along my brother who has often said he'd like to do something like this but never actually does! A nice long distance cruiser that I am rebuilding the engine for, coupled to an overdrive box and a 3.77 diff.

Raider

I would recommend the 7 for the 10CR for a number or reasons and not just because I happen to own one :)

The 10 CR is not nearly as intensive as the RBRR and two drivers can manage it without any problems - Beans manages to drive it all by himself...

Driving through the Alps / Pyrenees etc with the top down in a 7 takes some beating. Playing tag going up the passes with a collection  of Audi Quatro's is one of my best memories. It just lapped up the miles and later on foot flat to the floor on the autobahns was serious fun.

In the past I have owned a few 2000's so I also have very fond memories of them as very comfortable long distance cruisers with a fine turn of speed, but I don't think that they will bring the same smile to your face around the windy bits.

Cheers

Howard

I know the 7 is the best bet really.

But - having spent a fair bit of money and alot of time rebuilding the 2000's engine I am looking forward to using it.

Plus 3 people means a lower bill per person.

Still, the overnight blast is great when I have done it in a TR7 with a sun roof open so I am sure topless would be even better. 8)

Last year we did 98% of the 10CR top down in Mike's Spitfire. The total experience is so much better, as you smell all the different flavours etc. In daylight you have better views, esp on the mountain roads. At night it feels just special driving under a dark sky. (not to forget the foggy section through France)

Although you will miss out on the sixpot roar!

GTRoger wrote:
Last year we did 98% of the 10CR top down in Mike's Spitfire. The total experience is so much better, as you smell all the different flavours etc. In daylight you have better views, esp on the mountain roads. At night it feels just special driving under a dark sky. (not to forget the foggy section through France)

Although you will miss out on the sixpot roar!

That's easily solved - fit a your 7 with a V8 :)

• 1 month later...