I wonder at the mentality of my fellow humans

Ian Perry

This morning...

Driving through town, slightly misty but traffic was bunched up of course, so no visibility issues. Yet loads of cars had their fog lights on.

When I got out of town, into a rural area of west Berkshire, there was patchy fog (sometimes quite heavy with visibility down to about 40m in places), but about 25% of the cars going the other way had no lights on at all!

🤪🙄

We have the opposite problem in West London.

Anything bigger than an A35 has its main beams on all the time - day/night/sun/smog/fog

A pair of HID's or LASER LED's bearing down on you is quite off putting.

The only cure is to get a taller and taller car - hence the arrival of the SUV etc.

Roger

I was stopped a few years ago by the Wachpolizei because I had fog lights on in daytime. I had switched them on whilst driving on the Autobahn in very heavy rain. As a result I was fined €10 with the comment that " the lights dazzle oncoming motorists". 

I am never dazzled by fog lights whether in daytime or at night - do others have the same expereince?

Antonia

Back in the day when about the only cars with daylight running lights were Volvos it was quite common for foreign drivers of such cars in France to be stopped as the Gendarmes didn't appreciate them being on in good conditions.

Now lots of cars have automatic lights it is common to have cars with just them on and no rear lights when in the old days the driver would have switched them on. A case of 'the car knows best' I suppose.

My Skoda seems very keen to put headlights on the moment visibility isn't 100%. I tend to keep mine on manual and switch them on when I think they are needed. It also gives me something to do and helps keep my fingers nimble.