How warm should a Diff. get?

Spitty2Dream4

Hi Guys,
I've noticed that my diff is leaking a little oil and when I was inspecting it after a 20 minute drive it felt hot to the touch. Is this normal?
I'll have to check the oil level sooner rather than later. Do I have to do this via the inspection hatch behind the back seat and can the diff oil be topped-up here also?
In the mean time I have tightened the 3 lower bolts on the diff and managed to get a few extra turns of tightness.. I hope this will solve the leak.
I'll look forward to any help and adsvice you can give. :)

Have you got a workshop manual ?

If you have, read it !

The diff has a small breather hole on the top, and when blocked it causes the diff to leak oil because it heats up and the air has nowhere to expand to so it pushes oil out through the seals and joints.

The Diff is toped up via the hole in the SIDE that has a square headed plug the same as a sump plug, but mid way up the diff.  You cannot drain the diff unless you remove it from the car and turn it on its side.

Of course if you read the workshop manual you would know this already.  :X

979 wrote:
Hi Guys,
I've noticed that my diff is leaking a little oil and when I was inspecting it after a 20 minute drive it felt hot to the touch. Is this normal?
I'll have to check the oil level sooner rather than later. Do I have to do this via the inspection hatch behind the back seat and can the diff oil be topped-up here also?
In the mean time I have tightened the 3 lower bolts on the diff and managed to get a few extra turns of tightness.. I hope this will solve the leak.
I'll look forward to any help and adsvice you can give. :)

Small chassis diffs do run hot and they do leak. Try doing 150 miles on the motorway, then immediatly jack up the car and grab hold of the diff to haul yourself under the car (to look at UJs that just started ticking) and you will find that the hot diff burns your hand and the dripping hot oil lands on your inner wrist causing you to vigourously shake your hand all around the hot, dirty and hard rear transmission - now you have burns, scalds and bruises. It's a Triumph feature :-)

Thanks Guys, Great Help!

Kevin: Yes, I have a Haynes Manual, but this Forum is Grrrreat! Most of you have experienced what I'm now seeing for the first time. So, thanks again.

Jason: That's about as hot as mine was... luckily I didn't have your exact experience.

Just another question. When the roof is up and I can hear more of whats going on inside the car, I notice that I can hear the Diff working. I wouldn't say it's whining or rumbling noisily, but you just know that there are metal cogs turning around in there. How noisy are Diff's meant to be? Could this just be low oil level.
I will check the manual, but do I presume the oil plug is accessed from underneath and not from the inspection hatch at the top?

"Spitty2Dream4" - that's the last time I type that!  Please give us a real name to call you by!

And see Canley's 'Information database', that distills their knowledge and the inherited knowledge of John Kipping for advice on 'Rear End Noises': http://www.canleyclassics.com/infodatabase.asp?article=noises

Yes, get to the filler plug from underneath (see junkusers post)
And think about it!    The "inspection hatch" needs all the rear seating to be removed, a number of selftappers to be undone and a waterproof seal to broken for the 'hatch' to be removed.  The 'hatch' is to access the studs that hold the spring to the diff.
You can get at the plug from below, anytime, easiest with the car raised up.  
But in the enthusiasm of new ownership, please remember;
NEVER, EVER get under the car unless it is supported on axle stands.
We need new Triumph owners - don't do a Darwin and remove yourself from the Triumphpool when the car falls on you.
John

... and get your self a copy of the original factory workshop manual. Haynes Manuals might be good for the pictures (...) and for supporting the table...

Go flebay - or try to find it as downloads on the tinternet...  8)

JohnD wrote:
"Spitty2Dream4" - that's the last time I type that!  Please give us a real name to call you by!

And see Canley's 'Information database', that distills their knowledge and the inherited knowledge of John Kipping for advice on 'Rear End Noises': http://www.canleyclassics.com/infodatabase.asp?article=noises
John

Thanks John,
I gave Canley's a call and they could only presume that lack of maintenance could mean that the oil level is low and it's worth checking or it could be the pinion bearing..just hope no damage is done.
The previous owner had said the Diff was a recent reconditioned one (although not used much for YEARS).

Thanks,
BTW.. my name is Neil, but S2D4 would be acceptable.

back to the plot, how hot  ,just think that this has to transmit all the power you are using
if its glowing red in the dark you have a problem,  frying eggs or heating pasties is normal,
as said you would not put your hands on it ,  so definition <  Bl**dy hot >  is quite normal Pete

The early diffs with the rigid spacer between the pinion bearings had a habit of loosening the pinion nut. Worth getting this checked.  Loctite seems to overcome the problem.
A loose pinion nut will cause noise which starts as a hissing but progresses to a whine if left.
In good condition these diffs are noise free so any noise should be looked into.

Archived