Power Steering Too Light

Nick Jackson (2)

Stag racks are very much lighter (more assistance) in operation than saloon racks, in all other respects identical, maybe your car has been fitted with a Stag rack my mistake? When still in original (as left the factory) condition they can be identified by a stencil under the pinion housing on the rack body by 'INS' (short for INSbrook, 2000 MKII code name), or STA (short for Stag). In our experience Stag racks are far to light for saloons, remember a Stag is a lot heavier than a saloon.

Also check condition of balljoints, tyre pressures etc - in the past I've found that this sort of thing can make steering seem really vague at speed.

Is there a pressure relief valve in the PAS system?  Could be sticking hence too much assistance?

Only driven 1 2000 with PAS but it seemed quite positive  and pleasant at speed.

Quote:
I always thought a saloon was the heaviest, more steel, glass etc

Well they took off the roof, rear glass, rear doors off of a Saloon; then they discovered that the shell bent in the middle so they added the T-Bar, then they strengthened the sills, then they discovered that the shell was heavier and that the brakes would'nt stop the Stag so they added bigger calipers & discs & bigger drums, then the wheels would'nt fit over the calipers so they added bigger wheels & tyres. As it was a V8 they put in two sets of silencers, oh and electric window motors...........

[quote by=97679 link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1176845665,s=0 date=1176845665]Has anyone got any ideas on how I can make my power steering heavier!  At the moment, when at high speed the steering is way too light and the car is wandering about a bit.  Is there any adjustment on these racks or the pumps?

Thanks [/quote]

Brought some car seats off a fellow owner a few weeks ago. He always had this problem with his PS. Had the setup removed to install some racy exhaust, mechanic told him the car had the wrong tie rods or something fitted from a non powersteered car and this had caused the wandering.

I found the PAS on my PI was exceptionally light; I new it wasn't right because I also had a 2500 S which was fine.

There are two systems, one by Adwest and the other by Adford & Alder (or some similar name).  While the two look almost identical to each other, you cannot mix a pump from one set-up with the rack (valve) of the other (or vice versa) as had been done on my PI.  Once I fitted the correct pump everything was fine.

I can't remember all the details of how to identify them but one of the pumps has a straight outlet union, the other is elbowed, and I think one of the valves had a dab of paint on it - it's all in the workshop manual.

Steve

hi. the problem you have is caused through wear in the control valve sealing rings at its worst with the car stopped you can turn the steering wheel with your little finger. if the rack is not leaking i have removed the c.v. and replaced it with a spare hope this helps regards  Clive

Archived