Steve Cureton

The only thing I have that REALLY fits it well is a 7/16 square socket. Using an open ender or anything else always rounds it. Big long bar on the end of that and so far (touch wood) I have not been beaten.
The only place I could get a 7/16 square socket (rather than designed for a hex bolt) was SnapOn - not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Yeah, go for the stilsons - my son used to call them the big bad boys.  Works a treat and the grip just gets tighter and tighter, bit of heat to help it along its way without shearing and then fit a new plug.  Mind you dont set fire to it and have an extinguisher handy just in case! Machine mart sell them for about £1 per inch e.g. 14"" approx £14  I have a set of 24" for the really bothersome stuff.

I did try a pipe wrench but it's got a wide jaw and kept twisting sideways and slipping off the plug, it was still exerting a lot of pressure but not enough before it slipped. I'll give it another go and if that fails I think I'll weld a nut on, at least that way I'll never have the problem again.

I always try a ring spanner, if that fails then a big pair of molegrips hasnt failed yet (you can apply far more pressure with mole grips then a pipe wrench>  This is how i got some seized calipers apart at christmas (just needed new bolts afterwards)

Setting fire to it - I think I've had this conversation before.
If the sump is full of oil, then you won't heat the metal more than the boiling point of the oil. Sure, that will release a lot of oil vapour in the crankcase that could catch fire, but is way, way below the flash point, and will condense on the cooler sump before it escapes from the rocker cover.  So no risk of 'setting fire to the engine'.  A lot of old oil and muck on the outside could catch fire, but clean and wsh that off first(Gunk/Jizer?), and you're safe - but always have an extinguisher in your garage!

JOhn

If your going down the 'heating' route please be very very careful!  The thread is only braized into the sump pan for one, also chip pans spring to mind!  Very hot oil plus you with a spanner/stilsons may equal a visit to A+E.   The sump plug is not seized through rust or neglect therefore heat should not really help.  The plug is a taper design (its the same plug as the gearbox filler plug) and had been overtightend. I would still go for stilsons/mole grips first but don't forget to have a new plug ready to save having this problem again. Again I would recommend the nut type with copper washer as fitted to US export cars, or a gearbox drain nut type which is the same but has a magnet in it.  Both are availiable from the traders.

I don't do Christenings either but sometimes it's worth it for harmony's sake :-)
Best of luck!

Various tool Co.s including Draper who are cheap and plentiful make extractor sockets of this type. They mostly work on a left hand thread/self tightening principle and will either remove the thing or snap it in half! (unlikely with a sump plug).
   I had one recently which resisted the usual Snap-on square socket and 2 foot bar, self locking grips and 3 foot stilsons! The extractor did the job though - Good Luck.  :D

weld a nut on!  My recon Stag diff had a filler plug that had been screwed in too tight and had had the corners rounded off - didin't notice until it was bolted back on the car and I went to fill it up!  Got it off with a little tool I bought from an autojumble about 15 years ago - designed for removing rounded off nuts.  Was the first time I used it, but boy is it worth the £15 I paid for it now.  It is basically a socket full of spring loaded hardened needles that grip around whatever shape it has too.  Go down the automotive tool shop and see what they have got!

Archived