My Spitfire Restoration

molten

6817 wrote:
Hi could you recommend any good guides for learning how to paint at home? I have a compressor and spray gun that came with it, just don't know how to use them!

Thanks
Andy

Andy,
There are some good instructional videos on you tube, look at the professional ones though.
Those guns you get with compressors are ok, but it's better to buy a decent one if you want a really good paint job.
Also don't forget to keep the equipment clean, when you have finished.
Use the one you got to practice with. Get some old parts to spray up, and keep practicing, don't forget about ventilation and a good respirator.
The key to a good paint job is the preparation, it can be the best finish in the world, but will look poo if the prep below is naff!
Good luck  ;)

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This can be the outcome if done right. Even I only had a small garage and 50ltr compressor.

That's after a few hours of elbow grease, Farecla G6 cutting paste and t-cut. Will be like glass when I finish with autoglym super resin polish and the finishing cream.

Prep is key and the author of this thread Scott helped with that  :)

Start a thread when you are ready and I'm sure plenty of people with chip in with good advice.

Cheers mate, truth be known I just put plenty on, sanded the drips, flies and dust out and polished it well. That's the beauty of cellulose, although it's not perfect. The whole job cost about £80 in filler paint and sandpaper. Compressor was second hand at £50, spray gun was £100 although Molten has had excellent results with a cheap one.
I ought to do a write up or something , shame I didn't take more photos.

Hi Andy

Sorry I am late replying.

I paid a lot for some high quality guns but they just would not seem to work for me so as Craig said, I used a 'dirt cheap' gun, and experimented with pressure, pass speed until I found the right technique and gun/pressure settings for the equipment I had. I then practiced on paper taped in the garage wall (lots of it).

Craig put on probably double what I put on to allow for cutting & polishing and has got some great results.
As craig says its all in the prep work. Don't ever rush (as that's the tendancy in the beginning) and make a point of being meticulous on finish at every coat and you will be very happy with your results.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have had a few time wasters looking at the car but a genuine buyer arrived today and immediately fell in love with the car and everything about it. But sadly, at 6 foot 2 inches tall, his eyeline was level with the top of the screen frame so he would not be able to drive it comfortably. He came to buy. Loved the spec.

Sadly, not to be. So my question is how do you taller gejts such as big chris drive theirs??