My Spitfire Restoration

molten

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

junkuser wrote:
What is involved in molding carpet Molten?
Sounds interesting but could not find any useful information on the NET.  

The carpet had a gel backing that when heated with heat gun became pliable and could be shaped/molded and the shape was retained when cooled.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200598379797?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D200598379797%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

The link was the carpet I bought and used. Very good

Thank John

I hope to get the other door card made up this weekend and trial fit. They will both need to come back off to couple up the door locks but need to get lock re-plated. Been quoted £40 to prep and coat door locks and latches in zinc so might take them up on that. Need to get outer door handles pwder coated so when these are done doors should be finished.

I have been very fortunate that I am able to do everything myself (so far ;)) and not needed anyone else other than providing seat foams & covers. This has saved me ££££s on the welding alone never mind the painting as well.

This not intended to be a show car by any means but I did want to rebuild with new components to a reasonably high standard with a view to keeping. This was initially only intended to be a means to an end. The plan was to complete and sell it to use the money towards a mustang fastback rolling project. But I have really fallen in love with the car and that has helped me keep a high standard. Whoever was to buy this car in the future can rest assured that they would have a complete resto and not just a 'make do' car.

Hope to get engine on stand over xmas and start the strip-down. Will get some more pics added soon
Cheers all and thanks for the encouragement

Scott

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Ok

Not updated this thread for ages so thought now would be a good time to do that.

Interior (minus a dished 13" motalita wooden wheel) is finished and fitted
Canvas hood fitted.

This weekend is to see the engine installed back in the car, but tonight I will be fitting gearbox (now that my clutch problem is sorted ;))

Will post pics as and when can.

Right engine and gearbox now in (need to sort wiring for overdrive).
Started to get everything else back under bonnet. Almost bolted carbs and manifolds in then I remembered I had not wrapped the pipes on manifold so had to take back off until heat wrap arrives.

Interior almost finished. Spit the missing peice ;)

Thanks Rick & Chris...

I just hope that i have not cocked the timing up when installed new cam  :o and that it will fire up when ready.

Going to fire up with standard dizzy which is not set yet but will be going EDIS ingnition before too long.

Going to heat wrap the manifold pipes this aft so should be able to get carbs bolted on later too.

Starting to look like somebody loves it now  :)

3182 wrote:
Why not just check that the u-joints are nice and tight, install shaft and test-drive. If you have lots of vibrations it is a dead easy thing to remove from the car and have checked, if no vibrations then just be happy and spend the money on fuel :)

fair comment :P

Couple of pics now with carbs and wrapped manifolds on. Still need some carb breathers etc.

Question for you:

Where does the other end of the steering rack earth connect too from the rack? It was never connected when i got car. Looks like it goes on some bolt. Would it be on the flexible coupling (but that already has earth strap on??