My Spitfire Restoration

molten

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4540 wrote:
Just read through the whole thread. What a fine set of skills you have there Scott. I doth my cap. Hopefully..........hopefully, someday i can get mine to be of a similar standard.

If i could get the bloody thing to run!

Thanks Jamie
Dont beleive in getting anyone to do something I beleive I could do myself once I have the knowledge and the tools.
Working on recovering interior at present - another new venture.
Cheers
scott

Hello
Tonight, with the exception of gearbox and horn button, all electrics are working again. A happy chap is me  :)

Anyone know where:
1) the footwell lamp is secured?

2) Where the speedo trip is secured?

Why does the spit have door opening switches - would they be for alarm as pretty useless on convertable?
Does the hardtop have a courtesy light?

Cheers
scott

Wow gotting on realy well there i not done much to mine for ages now got boot floor out and statted to attack the passinger floor ,  would it be a good idea to fit a brake servo i not think it is muh work just a pipe to the manifold wonder if anyone has any ideas on this?  

cheers Alex

Anyone got a picture of this light operating?
I cannot see where it is meant to be located (as well as speedo trip).

Had spotlights on originally behind grill and fog light on rear bumper. Not sure if its worth putting them back in. Dont plan to be doing much night driving anyway, but you never know.

I need to get a passenger glove box and support rail. If any of you fella's have one, PM me.
Thanks

Have you got a copy of the owner's manual for that Spitfire?
I seem to recall that the light was shown in the picture for "Here is where you put the ignition key to start it".

You might also consider connecting the door switches to the horns to create a sort of basic car alarm.

rotoflex wrote:
Have you got a copy of the owner's manual for that Spitfire?
I seem to recall that the light was shown in the picture for "Here is where you put the ignition key to start it".

You might also consider connecting the door switches to the horns to create a sort of basic car alarm.

Hi Rotoflex, thanks for posting. I have the haynes manual only. It shows a diagram only with the bulb facing downward but cannot make out where?? Think I will just run it near ingnition as you say. Its not that important anyway is it really.
cheers

2597 wrote:
cheers Alex

Anyone got a picture of this light operating?
I cannot see where it is meant to be located (as well as speedo trip).

Had spotlights on originally behind grill and fog light on rear bumper. Not sure if its worth putting them back in. Dont plan to be doing much night driving anyway, but you never know.

I need to get a passenger glove box and support rail. If any of you fella's have one, PM me.
Thanks

The ignition barrel was lit from a bulb holder in the bezel (718813 - usually missing!) around the ignition switch so that one could find the aformentioned switch on dark nights.

You have an older column style to mine so it may be different, but light bulb on mine is under the speedo, either on one of those hidden support rails or the steel dash panel (can't remember which, can check tommorrow if you're desperate).

Passenger courtesy lights came in quite late, after my 78 was built but a previous owner fitted one anyway.

The switches and courtesy lights are brilliant when you're out at night, trust me! They're not hugely bright but very convenient.

My switches are wired to function both as courtesy lights AND to trigger my car alarm system, so I couldn't do without them really. Mine are tied together (so both lights come on with just one door) but originally worked independently, to do this with an alarm you might have to use diodes (not hard).

cheers fella's
Lancepar - brilliant thanks that is what I need. Presume yours is located to the right of the stearing column?

My speedo trip has the little angled bracket (not like yours) on but think this will/could be mounted with footwell lamp similar to yours.

Chhers gents.

No not desparate bainzy but certainly in need of a little guidence ;)

Don't think the trip cable bracket is original (could be wrong as your cars 6 years earlier than mine), but on my 1500 its supposed to go on a bracket that swings out from around that area.

Your bracket is better though, the original one on mine would make it far too tight for the trip reset to work if used, it kinks it too much so I just leave it hanging loose.

1381 wrote:
Don't think the trip cable bracket is original (could be wrong as your cars 6 years earlier than mine), but on my 1500 its supposed to go on a bracket that swings out from around that area.

That's right, I remember seeing an image of a single fixing bracket, I think it's in the Haynes :-/

8)

• 1 month later...

Hello Gents

Been a while since I posted on this thread. But been busy sorting out interior and making parts.
New carpet cut an fitted in (Bought some gel backed moldable stuff 2 off 1.5m x 1.9 for £30) which was enough to trim out the boot and complete inside the car. Even made my own gearbox cover carpet.

New seat foams and seat covers now fitted - lovely to actually sit in the car for the 1st time.
Just received custom door covers and made up & fitted drivers door card to new plywood back boards.