TimW

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you will notice that I have directed the chamfer cut inlets towards the sides of the tank in order to help reduce the air bubbles in the fuel.  I should have this in the car tonight.  I am still waiting for the fuel pump that will hopefully arrive tomorrow then i can run the fuel lines to and from the engine bay.

339 wrote:
next is to make a swirl pot.  I've used 150mm ali tube with a couple of punched disc's

Tim I would be keen to buy a swirl pot of you if you would make one for me please :) Also is the return inlet in the tank Tig or Mig welded. ;)
Thank You
Cheers
Hugh

Gt6s wrote:
One point about the fuel return, it needs to run to the bottom of the tank having it exiting at the top of the tank causes fuel airation. Not helpfull.

Bo**ocks!  I knew i should have checked before welding it!!  can i maybe use a filter between the fuel return and the tank to help reduce this??  The return in my tank has been installed so that it runs to the corner radius of the tank in order to try and help and this return is also chamfered.

908 wrote:

Tim I would be keen to buy a swirl pot of you if you would make one for me please :) Also is the return inlet in the tank Tig or Mig welded. ;)
Thank You
Cheers
Hugh

Hey Hugh

Yes mate with pleasure.  The return in the tank is TIG welded.

339 wrote:

Bo**ocks!  I knew i should have checked before welding it!!  can i maybe use a filter between the fuel return and the tank to help reduce this??  The return in my tank has been installed so that it runs to the corner radius of the tank in order to try and help and this return is also chamfered.

You could put a foam block in the tank to stop fuel surge and cut out the bubbles caused by the returning fuel ;) there is a race car parts supplier where you are they are on ebay too they have all the gear.
Cheers
Hugh

339 wrote:

Hey Hugh

Yes mate with pleasure.  The return in the tank is TIG welded.

Thanks Mate I would like to pop over when you install the lines and pump it will help me to see where I should run my lines, pump,etc it must be close to a Pi system I would think
Cheers
Hugh

Gt6s wrote:
You  could allways feed the return into the swirl pot and use the pipe you have welded in to vent the swirl pot to the top of the tank.
All is not lost.

That is how i had intended it to work 8) 8)  I'm sorry if i didn't make myself clear.

Looking on with lots of interest here Tim  :)

I am too looking to do something simlar, I was going to fit PI to my GT6 as you know  ;)

But may just skip that stage and flog most of the bits (except the manifolds and plenum) and go EFI.

That way you can make the mistakes first and I can learn from them  ;D ;D ;D

bobyspit wrote:
Good work as always Tim, any update on your rear end?
Rob

hey Rob

I'm still waiting for a slot in the drawing office in order to decide on a way forward  I may be the boss but real paying work comes first!! ;D.  I have been in hospital for a couple of weeks with a week recovery so have missed my slot in the drawing office.  I'm hoping to look at it in the coming week.

OK!!

Tank and swirl pot are now installed.  I now just need to make a couple of brackets for the filter and pump.  I have mounted  the swirl pot on rubber bobbins and intend to also use these bobbins for the filter and pump.  Just hope the pump comes in the post tomorrow.

do you think it's big enough!! :)

Just to clarify things

I'm running supply from main tank via a low pressure pump to bottom of swirl pot/surge tank

then out bottom of swirl/surge into high pressure pump then into filter then out to engine

then return from engine to top of swirl/surge tank

then from top of swirl/surge to the top of the main fuel tank.

and so it goes on!

339 wrote:
Just to clarify things

I'm running supply from main tank via a low pressure pump to bottom of swirl pot/surge tank

then out bottom of swirl/surge into high pressure pump then into filter then out to engine

then return from engine to top of swirl/surge tank

then from top of swirl/surge to the top of the main fuel tank.

and so it goes on!

Grand.

Gt6s wrote:

I ran mine to the top of the tank once too, not just saying that off the cuff.

I'm sure you weren't — just saying that mine doesn't have issues.

However thinking about it - it's not really top of the tank — it's where the breather is for the filler — so it flows gently in to the big fat filler hose and then down in to the tank.

bobyspit wrote:
Good work as always Tim, any update on your rear end?
Rob

Steady on mate  ;D ;D ;D
Would it be advisable to filter the fuel after the tank but before the high pressure pump to prevent anything damaging the pump. I plan to do that and another filter at the end of the return line just to try and take out as much air as possible. I am on Pi though and it creates a lot of frothy petrol I have been told :) I am also putting a fuel cooler in the return line too.
Hugh :B

Archived