TimW

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have collected a couple of sets of early PI bodies over the past couple of years with the intention to EFI my Vitesse first and then the GT6. i am sure these questions have been answered in other threads, but to help me get a few things straight in my mind.

Why are people going for a single butterfly as apposed to one per cylinder.

How do the injectors seal/fit to the fuel rail, I know the injectors are clamped in the throttle body. Presumably I will need to get the rail machined.

What Megasquirt version are you using. Checked on their site a couple of times with the intention of ordering a kit but get stumped on what to order, (easily Confused) doesn't bode well for building up the megasquirt I know but I want to give it a go.  

Thanks

Mark

93 wrote:

Why are people going for a single butterfly as apposed to one per cylinder.

Because the PI throttle bodies are typically dodgy — this saves you the pain of leaky butterflies and expensive linkages. The performance difference isn't going to be much.

93 wrote:

How do the injectors seal/fit to the fuel rail, I know the injectors are clamped in the throttle body. Presumably I will need to get the rail machined.

The injectors don't clamp to the throttle bodies — the fuel rail clamps to the throttle bodies and keeps the injectors in place. See the link in my signature for details.

93 wrote:

What Megasquirt version are you using. Checked on their site a couple of times with the intention of ordering a kit but get stumped on what to order, (easily Confused) doesn't bode well for building up the megasquirt I know but I want to give it a go.  

It is very confusing.

I would use an MS2 running MS2/Extra firmware.

For starters you want these:

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/839-megasquirt-wiring-harness-ms1-ms2-ms3-ready-p-477.html
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirtii-programmable-efi-system-pcb30-kit-black-case-p-119.html

HOWEVER if I were doing this all over again I would go for the new Microsquirt module. It's not DIY but it's so much better packaged with a lovely AMPSEAL connector on it. Requires a few more external components but that's fine by me. Will end up costing a bit more but I'd go for that based on packaging.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/microsquirt-engine-management-system-p-131.html

James

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to report that i have done very little for a week because the run up to Xmas has been so busy with work and family!

I am also waiting for the LC1 sensor and controller that i'm not getting until xmas day :'(

I think i will be looking at an attempted start just after xmas day. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the day in the garage today.  Beer and food really seam to get in the way of actually doing anything!!

Finished the EDIS tidied some of the wiring.  I wasn't happy with the switched live i had used for the relay board so rewired that aswell.  It's amazing how long these little jobs take.  I have started the LC1 install and should finish that tomorrow.

SOME PICS

2402 wrote:
Well done Tim. Whats the completion date??? Can't be far off now?

Chris.

As far as the EFI it's as done as it's ever going to be without a little tidying.  Just got to get the fuel rail leak fixed tomorrow then it's good to go for an attempted start.  I may ask Royboy66 to pop on over this Sunday and video the attempt.

Finished the LC1 install today and calibrated so just got to pop it into the exhaust (bung already welded in)

Also sorted the heater valve by using a TR6 heater pipe screwed into the head with a GT6 heater valve screwed into the pipe.

Tim, have you reduced the TR adaptor, !!!  if you hav,nt, then its too high,and will hit the bonnet.
the cross brace to be exact.
really needs shortened, and if poss, cut at an angle, re welded up, so the valve sits upright.

so be care full when ye shut the bonnet.

M

796 wrote:
Tim, have you reduced the TR adaptor, !!!  if you hav,nt, then its too high,and will hit the bonnet.
the cross brace to be exact.
really needs shortened, and if poss, cut at an angle, re welded up, so the valve sits upright.

so be care full when ye shut the bonnet.

M

No i have just fitted it as is.  I've shut the bonnet and it just misses and i mean JUST!!!  I may well do a cut and shut when i can get it to work but it will do for now. :)

Archived