TimW

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick_Jones wrote:
Coming on nicely  :).  Make sure you block all unwanted ports and seal all the joints that see vacuum (rather alot on this arrangement) - doesn't take much of a leak to make "idle" sound like full throttle!

Nick

Yes i have quite a few!! do you know which terminal is + on the bosch injectors?

339 wrote:

Well i've yet to see Hugh's efforts!  Looking forward to it.

Don't worry mate we will soon have you squirting!! ;D

Just need a swirl pot then do me piping me electric's me plenum box me metering unit  yeah not long now  :o;D ;D ;D (whistle)(whistle) ;D ;D ;)

Hey you know know you want to mate ;) ;D ;D ;D

339 wrote:

Just need a swirl pot then do me piping me electric's me plenum box me metering unit  yeah not long now  :o;D ;D ;D (whistle)(whistle) ;D ;D ;)

Hey you know know you want to mate ;) ;D ;D ;D

339 wrote:

Just need a swirl pot then do me piping me electric's me plenum box me metering unit  yeah not long now        
(whistle)(whistle)(whistle)(whistle) ;D ;D

Hey you know know you want to mate     ;) ;D ;D ;D

Tim, I love what you're doing, so much so that the reconditioned SU carbs I have on my shelf won't go onto my engine - EFI from the start is looking better all the time. I'm very relieved to see that you can get your bonnet shut!

One thing - I read somewhere that the Lucas alternators can produce voltage spikes which scramble Megajolt / Megasquirt's chips. Maybe you should look at fitting a Nippon-Denso?

I've commented on the Lucas alternators before.  The elderly example I started with was datalogged producing spikes >22v.  This doesn't actually damage the MS ECU but can cause odd and unwanted effects, especially on the version2.2 ECU as the power supply is simpler and less isolating.  This doesn't mean all Lucas alternators do this obviously but I've found that the replacement regulators currently sold for them are poor quality and short lived, regardless of the colour of the box they come in.

There are several readily available items that are a straight swap including later Lucas units and a couple from Bosch.

Nick

Nick_Moore wrote:
Tim, I love what you're doing, so much so that the reconditioned SU carbs I have on my shelf won't go onto my engine - EFI from the start is looking better all the time. I'm very relieved to see that you can get your bonnet shut!

One thing - I read somewhere that the Lucas alternators can produce voltage spikes which scramble Megajolt / Megasquirt's chips. Maybe you should look at fitting a Nippon-Denso?

Steady on Nick we will be wearing the same jumpers soon :P :P

Good job your on the other side of the world!  The bonnet only just closes and that is with very heavily modified throttle bodies.  If I were to do it again i would have a set of bodies made.
Got any more pics of your GT6???

Nick_Jones wrote:
I've commented on the Lucas alternators before.  The elderly example I started with was datalogged producing spikes >22v.  This doesn't actually damage the MS ECU but can cause odd and unwanted effects, especially on the version2.2 ECU as the power supply is simpler and less isolating.  This doesn't mean all Lucas alternators do this obviously but I've found that the replacement regulators currently sold for them are poor quality and short lived, regardless of the colour of the box they come in.

There are several readily available items that are a straight swap including later Lucas units and a couple from Bosch.

Nick

Not really what i wanted to hear!!  I'll try it as is and see what happens.  As long as i won't be doing any damage that is :o :o

PS.  I found the + on the injector ;)

339 wrote:
Steady on Nick we will be wearing the same jumpers soon :P :P
Good job your on the other side of the world!  The bonnet only just closes and that is with very heavily modified throttle bodies.  If I were to do it again i would have a set of bodies made.
Got any more pics of your GT6???

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Imitation's the best form of flattery and all that...

I suspect that if our cars were parked side by side there'd be a lot of differences. My Mallard is definitely greener than your greeny-blue. I don't know if that's because Joe tweaked the recipe (he said he might), or maybe the light here is different. I don't really care, it looks superb. Then there are my 5-spoke wheels, the New Tan interior, different gauges...

No new photos yet. When I worked in the central Queensland Coalfields, the paintshop in Mackay was a mere two-hour drive away. I've now moved to Brisbane, so it's a twelve hour drive, or one hour flight. Joe says he wants the car finished by Christmas, and so do I, it'll be fun starting to put it together over the break.

Did you have your PI throttle bodies cut and angled downwards? Has anyone tried Jenvey or similar throttle bodies on Weber manifolds?

Nick_Moore wrote:

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Imitation's the best form of flattery and all that...

I suspect that if our cars were parked side by side there'd be a lot of differences. My Mallard is definitely greener than your greeny-blue. I don't know if that's because Joe tweaked the recipe (he said he might), or maybe the light here is different. I don't really care, it looks superb. Then there are my 5-spoke wheels, the New Tan interior, different gauges...

No new photos yet. When I worked in the central Queensland Coalfields, the paintshop in Mackay was a mere two-hour drive away. I've now moved to Brisbane, so it's a twelve hour drive, or one hour flight. Joe says he wants the car finished by Christmas, and so do I, it'll be fun starting to put it together over the break.

Did you have your PI throttle bodies cut and angled downwards? Has anyone tried Jenvey or similar throttle bodies on Weber manifolds?

I am flattered :B  How did you know i was fitting a tan interior?? Only joking ;D  I also didn't mean anything by my comments :B

I cut the mounting flanges off the bodies and then squared them up and welded it all back together. It's very hard to get in to weld it all back together and i did have to do a fair bit of hand grinding to get the manifold nuts on.  I think it's going to be well worth it ;D ;D

Can't wait to see yours back together.  It's going to be one very special GT6

Archived