Views on MX5 seats in a Spitfire

Pete TR7

You're absolutely right, Hugh. My roll bars in to appease my parents and in-laws, really, since it would be naff-all use in the event of a crash. In any case the rest of the car would fold up around you like a cardboard box anyway!
I always drive mine with that in mind. Ain't no airbags, no real SIP and there's no roof, so let's not hit anything.  :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

smithy wrote:
You're absolutely right, Hugh. My roll bars in to appease my parents and in-laws, really, since it would be naff-all use in the event of a crash. In any case the rest of the car would fold up around you like a cardboard box anyway!
I always drive mine with that in mind. Ain't no airbags, no real SIP and there's no roof, so let's not hit anything.  :)

Yeah I hear what your saying its the normal things in life that can catch you out I should know ;D

I have one to please everyone else, especially the mrs, but realistically you're driving a tiny car that flimsy at it's best, I have fitted padding to the bars inside though, I've heard horror stories of minor shunts causing head injuries  :-/

Am i right in thinking it was the MX  high back seats that saved Clifty,!!!

if you are going to fit em, then you also need to do a wee mod to the tilt lever.

and the later high backs wont fit under a soft top,or evan a car with a roof lining.
mine aint got a lining, and they touch

M

You rang??

Interesting point, and thinking back 3 1/2 years I am still unsure.
When the spitfire rolled, it all seemed unreal and harmless. Yes, the windscreen frame was flattened and the steering wheel went through where the screen was. In fact this caused the only injury, and gouged hand.
The plastic hardtop was broken, but I suspect that helped the car to roll easily, a good thing. The MX5 seats were strong and high. No scuff marks to indicate they actually did act as individual rollbars, but seems it is possible.
However, proper rollbar with a diagonal is being fitted to the "new" version.

Thanks to Smithy, he let me have a look at his seats a couple of days ago.

I am still undecided, the recovered seats in His Spitfire felt better than mine, didn't feel there was a great deal of difference between those and the MX5.  Maybe I should just recover the Spitfire ones. :-/.

No rush - the main task is to get the Spitfire back on the road by the end of June.  I want to be able to drive it during the Spitfires 50th year.

Took the TR7 over, it very nearly got a nice polish  ;D but I had to get back home.

Nice garage, want one.

They've been in my GT6 for about 8 years now and no way would I go back to originals. Just make sure the rear feet are cut off and the front flattened properly, I have fore and aft movement and they recline, and they tilt forward for easy access to the rear. I'm 6' and have no problems whatsoever. I took the speakers out of the headrest as once underway they are useless (speakers need a big box like a door or rear panel) They cost me £25 for the pair, cost nothing to dry out and straighten or fit. Been all over Europe in comfort! I'm at the International Auto Ecosse on the 2/3 June, anyone is welcome to try them.

Archived