Views on MX5 seats in a Spitfire

Pete TR7

I am not happy with the standard seats in my Spitfire 1500, I find the back is not supportive enough so I have been considering the Mk1 MX5 seats route.

Seen on Paul Teglers website how to fit them but I am wondering what people who have fitted them think.  I am a little concerned about the possible increase in height that can result.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in my opinion the biggest mistake you can make, i put a pair in a mk4 for somebody  a few months ago easy to fit but you just sit to high and not enough movement.
I have a pair here which i was going to fit to one of my spitfires but got new foams and making covers for the spitfire seats and putting the mazda ones into a herald
If i was looking to buy a spitfire/gt6 and it had mx5 seats i would look elsewhere

cheers andy

A good thread on this here:
http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl/Blah.pl?m-1325345780/s-0/
With a fair bit of whining from me. There ARE a variety of MX5 seats, and some (seperate headrest ones) work better than others. There are also other alternatives.
I'm swapping my MX5 seats back to normal Spitfire 1500 ones this week. A pity, since the MX5 ones looked splendid - but they're just too big and worse with the roll bar in.  :-/

I had given a lot of thought to changing my seats. The increased height of the seat squab of the MX5 seats put me off and so I refurbished my old seats. I am astounded at the difference this makes - far more supportive in every way. I also bought a Spitfire 1500 a few weeks ago which had also just had the seats refurbished and drove this from Peterborough to Newcastle in one go - very comfortable and no back ache.

I am 5'8 about 11st. I found my head touched the hood on my spit when I fitted MX5 seats. It may have been my driving position, but even so I found them unsuitable. Comfy, yes, driving position, pants.

New car will have re-foamed 1500 seats, makes them comfy too.

I' m about 5'10", not as slim as I used to be.

I intend keeping the original seats as I keep most of the original bits from the car, I may want to fit them back sometime.

I rebuilt the seats twice, first just new covers when I bought the car and then a couple of years later I replaced the foams, they are still in good condition, drivers seat a little worn, passenger like new.

I dont like the fit of the seat back, seems too narrow and I feel I am sitting on it rather than in it, the head rest covers never fittied very well.  Perhaps the problem is the fit of the covers?, I got them from Prestige Auto trim about 10 years ago.

The argument for MX5 seats is not convincing at the moment, I may have a word with Park Lane classics before I make up my mind - I could have coloured piping then   :)

You could get coloured piping for the 1500 seats - my MkIV ones have yellow piping:

Behind are the bucket seats which I didn't fit in and sold for £127. Tim Raven recently tried similar seats, ignored my warnings of them being rubbish, and found them to be rubbish :P

Yellow piped seats will cost you either a straight swap for 1500 seats (in similar nick, a few rips I can deal with :) ), or about £45 :)

3122 wrote:
You could get coloured piping for the 1500 seats - my MkIV ones have yellow piping:

Behind are the bucket seats which I didn't fit in and sold for £127. Tim Raven recently tried similar seats, ignored my warnings of them being rubbish, and found them to be rubbish :P

Yellow piped seats will cost you either a straight swap for 1500 seats (in similar nick, a few rips I can deal with :) ), or about £45 :)

Aaron are those seats behind Mamba seats? What were the issues you found with them?
I was thinking of getting a pair from Midland Wheels.

Any info on the problems you had with yours would be great before I waste any more money buying things which are not suitable.

Firstly I was too wide for them, and as this photo shows I'm not especially wide:
(Warning, bad photo of me :P )

Although not quite as bad as the one of Mark Hammond shaving... ??)
Secondly they angled you inwards, towards the centre of the car... and the pedals are off-set to the right, so you end up at a funny angle. They also don't tilt, so you can't lift them up to get stuff out the back as you can with the normal ones, and they catch with the hood frame, so mine had a dent and a few tears on the outside should bit. They did look quite good though, and I got a good price for them :)

I've got the corbeau buckets and find them realy comfy.
There not very wide and dont recline but for me theyre perfect ,I'm 5.9 and not a lardie by any stretch but my mate is over 6ft and not skinny and he did a rbrr in them no trouble.Unfortunately my girls car seats dont fit them so it looks like I'm going to be selling them off.
I have a 1500 spitfire passenger seat fitted at the moment for the girls to use but dont have a drivers seat.Once I do then I have to decide sell my buckets or put them in the roof until the girls are big enough not to need booster seats.

I got the high backs in, and they touch the roof, and i aint got a head lining in as such
also seat base is too high, so im going to take 2 inch of foam oot, where the ole butt goes.
forad / aft move ment is restrcited too

490 wrote:

How is the fit in a Herald convertible? I'm sort of debating it, but a good while from now going by the current restoration speed...

MX5 seats fit very nicely in the Herald and Vitesse. I've had the ones with separate headrests in my Vitesse Convertible since 2009 and have done annual euopean tours since with no aches or pains whatsoever.

In 2008 I had Herald seats in it and couldn't stand up straight after two days in the "saddle"  :-/

908 wrote:
I have a pair of MK1 MR2 ones in my GT6 just the right fit ;)

Hi Hugh.....

Any mods to making them fit?
Pics??

I like these.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-Limousine-MK1-Leather-seats-/230785881338?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35bbe914fa

Archived