Heated seats in gt6

timireson

Hi all
Thinking of installing heated seats when I come to recover my seats, I too used to mock people with them but once you have them you don't want to go back!! Makes winter mornings lovely!!

My questions is alternator/power needs.

They seem to draw about 3-5amps and 90 watts if using both seats.

What alternator would be best? As I'm about to buy a new alternator as my current one is rusted solid.

Any suggestions??

Thanks Tim

Depends on what else you have fitted (stereo etc). Add up all your wattages and devide by twelve then get say 10amp surplus. The standard (45 amp?) would probably be fine but do your maths first.

And yes, heated seats are amazing. Got them in the herald and don't even bother putting the car heater on.

They're much more efficient than a heater and if done right, are difficult to detect and can add value to the car. In winter the heater will still be blowing cold air by the time they are roasting.

I think my alternator was 45 or 55A when I first put them in and I had no trouble. I fitted some into my Dads TR6 and that still has the original alternator (whatever a 72 car came with, probably feeble) and it doesn't trouble the car.

I'm trying at the moment to fit them to my W124 Merc but want to use an original Merc loom for them, just need to find a cheap second hand loom.

I think it sounds great. My car had the original 15acr which is feeble in output so if I put in a45amp should be more than capable.
Quoted figures are for full power, even I can't hack it on full for that long!!
It's just deciding which one to use, and where to mount the switches any ideas?
Tim