Starter motor queries

Steady Rolling

Finally making some headway with getting the Spit on the road - have just got the engine dropped in and (almost) bolted up to the gearbox. But when I was about to fit the starter, noticed a couple of things that I thought might be worth checking out before proceeding:

Firstly, when I push the gear towards the housing and let go, it just stays there - shouldn't it return automatically? It takes virtually no effort to push it back, but it doesn't do it of its own accord. So does this mean I need to replace the spring (and probably the gear, judging by the condition of the splines) - and if so, how do I go about it? Have done a bit of searching and it seems there is a special tool (or couple of mole grips) needed, but what's the process for disassembly?

And on that note, the Moss catalogue says there were three Lucas models used, so you need to know which one you have before buying spares for it. But the numbers I can read on mine - 265B 44 76 - don't correspond with those mentioned in the catalogue. Comparing it with the catalogue pics, I'd be inclined to say it's the 25149b though - can anyone verify pls?

Whatever you do don't use it as is.  I unknowingly had one fail one early morning on a Spit.  Thing didn't disengage after the engine fired up and promptly overloaded the charging circuit with an electrical meltdown and subsequent fire as a result only a few miles down the road.

I'd back Freebird's suggestion of using a reconditioned unit if you are not familiar with these things.

Would be worthwhile measuring the depth of engagement of the Bendix teeth with the ring gear.
Some starter motors are mounted with a spacer and even shims are available.

Could be that the damaged one was only engaging part way either due to the friction or incorrect position (spacing) of the starter.

As an aside, I don't like that design of retention of the Bendix (ring and C clip) as I had the ring break into 4 pieces once on attempting to start the car.
Since then I have always used the older style starter motors that use the threaded shaft and nut.
May be a rare occurrence but very inconvenient.

Hmm, that started off very promising and then told me stuff I didn't wanna hear ... I'm gonna spend most of the next year pretty skint (getting solar panels installed next week) so trying to keep spending to a minimum and would therefore prefer to just replace the bendix if poss - so which starter model is it? And also, where do you get graphite lube from? Searched the Halfrauds site and rang a couple of local motor factors but no-one has it. Ebay has a wide selection of assorted graphite lubes, but not sure which I would need to go for...

steady_Rolling wrote:
I'm gonna spend most of the next year pretty skint (getting solar panels installed next week) so trying to keep spending to a minimum

A solar powered Triumph, interesting.

Maybe I have read that wrong and you are getting solar panels fitted to your person, To run a pacemaker, bionic limbs etc ?

Wheres the cheapest place for a spitfire starter motor then?
I thought I had a good spare but today I fitted it as the old one kept spinning as the engine started to catch,the replacement sounds like it really labouring then flattened the battery.
Battery is now back on charge and I'll give it a last try tomorrow before resigning myself to the fact it needs replacing.
More money! luckily my neighbour helped me push the car out of the garage and turn it around then back in again.My drive doesnt slope much but the last bit into the garage is really steep when pushing it(in fact more often than not my car will wheelspin that bit when reversing it in ;D).

Got my reconditioned one from James Paddocks, although his web site was down last time I checked.

Mine was in a similar state (but then again my battery was bad as was my alternator).

How is the battery health? Do you lose charge over 2-3 days or does it seem to go okay?

Always worth looking at that at the same time.

Kind regards,

David

I wonder if someone can answer this .....

My starter is spinning just at the point when the engine is going to start.....it fires and throws the starter away before its properly caught.
Is this a common problem as my other starter did the same,I'm almost certain this starter worked on my mk1 saloon and that I only removed it to fit the later type for the 2.5 mk2 engine.

So can I fix it?

One cylinder may fire with sufficient force to accelerate the flywheel enough to spin the Bendix back but not sufficient to spin the engine past the next compression stroke to enable the next cylinder fire.
As the starter motor and Bendix are now spinning at the same speed the gear will no longer engage and the motor will just keep spinning whilst it is powered.
  Assume we are dealing with a Bendix type starter mechanism.

Alex wrote:
I wonder if someone can answer this .....

My starter is spinning just at the point when the engine is going to start.....it fires and throws the starter away before its properly caught.
Is this a common problem as my other starter did the same,I'm almost certain this starter worked on my mk1 saloon and that I only removed it to fit the later type for the 2.5 mk2 engine.

So can I fix it?

When I was trying to start my third engine this kept on happening, I reckon it was because the engine was almost catching but not actually get there, but kicking over enough to throw out the starter. Just kept at it and it got going eventually!

Hey guys. That's exactly how this one acts. And how the old MG and a couple of others acted as well. I have a thread here somewhere with that same question as to whether it's a weak starter, or an engine that is just barely trying to start.
With this engine, it's certainly possible to be either. Original starter from '65 as far as the owner knows. And certainly a recalcitrant engine.

I should know at least one possibility though, as I'm due to pick up a new starter in an hour or two. Will try to fit it as soon as possible and let you know if it changes the way things act.
As I have not been able to do anything lately to fix the hard-starting issue (see my distributor thread as well), changing the starter motor will have been the only change.

Crossing my fingers that it helps at least a little!

Paul

Archived