Electric fan

Glenn

Quoted from Beans-

My fairly modern Land Rover (2008) still uses a viscous coupling. And as on my TR7's the temperature remains rock steady under all conditions.

You need to bear in mind that nearly all modern cars have their temperature gauges designed or driven in such a way that they sit dead centre anywhere between 65 and 95 degrees (or beyond). The engine doesn't care about a 10 degree wobble, the computer copes with it, what's the point eliminating it? Just hide it from the ignorant driver who might worry if s/he saw it.

Quoted from Glenn-

. If I can pick up a 95-90 switch I reckon that will be about bang on, meanwhile I reckon it's not bad. I doubt the fan will be on much as it will rarely be driven in traffic or sit at idle for long.

Thanks again all.

Have a look here, list of fan switches. Chuck some of the ref numbers into ebay, I got what I wanted for a quid (+£2 pp) 

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=152082

I have wondered if using one of he dual temp switches, and a big resistor would be a good thing? The VW fan that came with my car was a 2 speed, but sadly died. Replaced with a Spal which is brilliant.

Quoted from Beans-

I always cool down the engine (and brakes) with some gentle driving after trashing it so no problems there 😛

A very good practice but it might still be interesting to see what the gauge does after stopping although, if its artificially stabilised as Rob says, there probably wont be much change....

Quoted from RobPearce-

... nearly all modern cars have their temperature gauges designed or driven in such a way that they sit dead centre ...

I wouldn't call a Defender, or even worse a TR7, modern 😳

On a TR7 the gauge acts pretty quickly, as I found out when my viscous coupling decided to retire.

As soon as I stopped the temperature gauge would start to rise. And drop off again as I sarted to move again ...