Electric cooling fan mounting

Jonny-Jimbo

Hi all,

I got myself an electric cooling fan kit with thermostatic switch and relays etc etc etc for my 2000 after the viscous fan died. (Well, made nasty rattles and vibrations...)

How has anyone else fitted one to their cars? I was just going to use the 'pull-through' zip ties that come with the fan, but I was wondering if anyone has made up any brackets? I quite like the idea of being able to remove the radiator without having to cut the zip-ties.

I was going to mount the fan on the front of the radiator in the nosecone to hide it all away. I'm also doing all the wiring in Lucas colours so it's less obvious.

Anyone got photos etc of their installation?

Hmm, I was hoping to avoid drilling holes in the body if I could help it.

The other thing I was considering was making up some stainless steel mounts to hold the fan that sandwich between the body and the radiator on the 6 mounting points - although on my car it's two captives at the top and then four nuts and bolts at the bottom.

The problem with this is that the fan would drop every time I put the radiator in...

Maybe the best future proofing would be to mount in the nosecone, so if the radiator needs to come out I don't have to disturb the radiator too.

I had the same reservations with the push through ties when I received them with a big kenlowe pusher fan. However I fitted them on the 2000 rally car with the ties and its never been a problem. Had to remove them after I hit a dry stone wall and it cracked a seam on the rad. refitted them and been fine since. Been on probably five/six years in total. So they do work.

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
The other thing I was considering was making up some stainless steel mounts to hold the fan that sandwich between the body and the radiator on the 6 mounting points - although on my car it's two captives at the top and then four nuts and bolts at the bottom.

I mounted a sucking fan behind my radiator by using the existing radiator bolts. Could you do something similar in front of the rad?

Quoted from Matt George
Sorry, just realised the captive issue, so my idea might not work after all!

When I had the OWL (2500S) I did fit a blower fan in front of the rad using your method. It's a tiny bit awkward because the fan mounting frame fits between the rad and the body so holding things in place while bolting it up is tricky.

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo

The problem with this is that the fan would drop every time I put the radiator in...

Maybe the best future proofing would be to mount in the nosecone, so if the radiator needs to come out I don't have to disturb the radiator too.

You only need to drill 4x 5/16" holes in the radiator mounting panel. No big deal. It doesn't interfere with getting rad in or out. I personally don't like the idea of cable ties being fixed to the rad fins.
Tony.

I tried the same method as Mat but it fouled on the power steering pulley. So I moved the Fan to the top left of the back of the radiator.
I think the best solution is to mount two smaller, 9 or 10 inch fans on the back of the radiator at the top using the cable tie straps that are supplied with some fans through core. Two fans apart from fitting nicely give you the option of using two different temp settings.

The plastic ties through the matrix work well for the light Kenlowe type, but I'd be concerned about any other, especially with a heavy metal surround and brackets.
Silverback had a pair of enormous truck fans, on an even more enormous cross-flow radiator.  I built alloy brackets that mounted them on the radiator frame, as shown below.

While the whole cooling system was dodgy, the fans never budged.
John

I have made up a pair of 'z' frames that will mount to the body, sandwiching the radiator to the front panel. Initially I'm just making it out of strips of aluminium, but if I find it's running a bit warm I've got plans to knock up a shroud that the fan will attach to, which will sit in the nosecone. That'll be made out of sheet aluminium and either pop-rivetted or tig welded together.

Process to be updated next weekend when back in the workshop!