Which tyre size on standard rims?

markcro

I have standard wheels and suspension, etc. so I am currently running on the standard 155 width tyres. Apart from them being 9 years old and having the grip of hard plastic I think that they need to be a fit fatter to stop the front brakes locking up so easily.

So what is the max size you can fit on standard steel rims? 175?  How does this effect the handling/ slow speed steering weight etc.?

Someday I will buy the wider steel rims but at the moment I don't want to fork out that money just yet.

What are "standard rims" ? I'm afraid my Spit has minilite-a-like alloys.
I tend to check the manufacturer spec. when I look for stuff like this.
I recently got some Nexen CP661 175x70x13 fitted (£42 quid each fitted and balanced)

175/70R13 82 T 1047 475 44 4.5 ~ 6.0 5.0 177 7.0 576 22.7 7.2 9/32 261 BSW 400 A B

So according to the Nexen spec sheet these will fit - 4.5" to 6.0" rims, with 5.0" being the "recommended standard"
As for tyre clearance/fitment etc I'm afraid I can't advise!

You will have tofit radials nowadays.   Radials have flexible sidewalls.  The broader your tread the more leverage to allow that to wobble about.  thenarrower the whel rim the more will this happen.  175 means atread seven inches wide on a 4.5  inche rim. Not as stable as you would wish.
If your old tyres are that old I think that anew set of skinnies will be arevelation!

John

I was running 175/70s on 4.5J steels, and have just swapped the tyres over onto 5.5J steels. Definitely a noticeable difference, the car feels more solid now and really planted on the road - not to mention it looks a lot better visually. It still handled very well with the narrower rims though.

My earlier was sent from my Kindle, which accounts for the fouilupes.

Of course you can run wider wheels and treads.   I use 6J wheels with 185-60 tyres, a 7.5" tread on a 6" rim.
Allan Staniforth, the hilllcimb guru, said that the tread should be narrower than the rim, but that was a bit 'ultimate', and I think I'm running as wide a rim as is reasonable to go.    They need spacers on front and back as it is!
John

i have standard wheels and 155 tyres from barum, calipers are good and so are the pads and discs and have never been able to lock then up yet, think you may have really bad front tyres, stick them on the back and have a good laugh like i did :) just watch it in the wet as gets a bit funny :)

rich

155R13 is what Spits seem to have as standard.  My spare is an original P300 and has that size as does the rest of the car.

Unfortunately, my car has new Arrowspeed 155R13s on it.  Whilst with the Spax dampers and Poly bushes it feels like a revelation in the corners when dry (I have scared many a passenger with it!), it feels lethal in the wet, with the back end drifting on demand a little too easily!  But I guess the lack of availability does not help.

On the basis that you can get reasonable brands in 175/70R13s, it is probably the size I will go with next.