Crankshaft  nut

Davemate

its on my 1500 engine in my herald
i dont know what year the car it that the engine came from

1 and 13/16  i'll ask the lorry fitters at work if anyone has one. most of the blokes who work there are over 50
so one must have one !
if not, can a set of large ajustables or a large pair of stillsons( i may have spelt that wrong)do the job or does it have to a damm good fit

I'll try for a socket !
Is it just a case of give it a damm good pull with a long bar whilst having it in gear and the neighbour holding the brakes on

Meat trade ?
I am looking up ,but thats way too far over my head for me to see

Edit
      It's not a left handed thread is it (the nut that is)

Hello Dave,

yes that's sounds OK, depending, a length of stout pipe can help. I've heard of people putting the spanner or socket arm against the chassis menber (right hand side looking from the front) and using the starter motor to spin the engine and so free the nut.

Sorry if meat trade was too obtuse, alluding to being a butcher. Stillsons are for pipes and cut up quite a bit so wouldn't do your nut a lot of good?

Alec

If I can't get a socket it might have to be stilsons and then replace the nut.
It's probably cheaper for me to do that than to buy the socket !

My grandad was a butcher he only had 3 fingers on his left hand, I don't think he was a very good one though !

Even if you butcher it with the stillsons (in my trade called Nut F....ers ) you will still need a socket to get the new one on. Surely you must be able to borrow one ? as piman said, put a bar on a socket and give the starter a nudge, works for me.
Tony.

its not moving !!!!!

i tried,
in gear handbrake on and the neighbour holding the foor brake on ----nothing
as above with a long bar extending the "t"bar-----nothing
putting the "t" bar on the chasis and turning it on the key ------nothing
as abovve but leting it spin about 1/4 turn before it hit the chassis ------nothing

so it looks like i will have to put back the new water pump and rad with the timming case still leaking and take the car somewere to have the nut loosend by a gararge

just been looking at impact wrenches

240 power ----£65
cordless -----£100
air ------£30------compersser ----£80 for a cheapie but will do the job

46 mm impact socket �20 (the one i borrowed is not an impact one)

looks like christmas might just come a bit early, only thing is i told the wife it had already been last weekend
if i use the compresser on this i might just get away with it

Go for either the compressor or the battery one.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/245185/impact_wrenches_we_test_eight.html

Compressor is a good option because then you can get lots of other useful tools too — probably the most powerful of the lot too.

I have a compressor I'm looking to get rid of — it's a high quality V-twin one that has hardly been used — might be a bit expensive if you're going for cheap though.

Impact wrenches an not infalable. On my 1500 I needed to do the seal. My "normal" 1/2 impact wrench, no go. Borrowed a friends CP megabucks one. No joy. 4" bar, clutch slipped.
In the end it was a 3/4" set, used a long extension resting at the far end on an axle stand. Then several good belts with a LARGE club hammer eventually got it moving. Never come across anything that required that amount of force before.

And before any comments about the "kit" the chappie who lent the tools (and later a hand) works on big stuff day in day out, whence the 3/4" socket set.

james
     i think the compresser might be the way to go, as you say i will be able to use other air tools with it
but i cant justify spending loads on something i will only use to get this nut off and pump my tyres up now and then
looks like a trip to the local machine mart

clive,
          this is my problem i dont want to waste my cash if it does not work
  i have borrowed a 3/4 drive socket and given it loads but it an't moving !

Dave

You will use a compressor for a lot more than you think, it just takes a couple of years to build up the air tool collection... :-)

Machine Mart have a VAT free night tomorrow night in Colchester, invite only but if you are going to get one, let me know and I can help you out.

Bigger is better in this case.

But first find out how much James wants for his. You might be surprised (or shocked!)

Cheers

Colin

thescrapman wrote:
Dave

You will use a compressor for a lot more than you think, it just takes a couple of years to build up the air tool collection... :-)

Machine Mart have a VAT free night tomorrow night in Colchester, invite only but if you are going to get one, let me know and I can help you out.

Bigger is better in this case.

But first find out how much James wants for his. You might be surprised (or shocked!)

Cheers

Colin

i think its vat free in all machine marts (invite only) as my local one in portsmouth is doing it aswell on thursday

Archived