philheys100

Nice sound if it was a lawnmower. Start simple, looking for leaks from inlet or exhaust. Connecting the breather pipe will help by eliminating that noise.
Exhaust or inlet manifolds may be loose, causing sound when engine rocks.
Are the spark plugs loose.

Yeh... I thought lawnmower, but I didn't want to say.  :B  I also notice it wasn't keen to rev, you had to pull the cable 2 or 3 times to pursued it. So everything said above, then check the carb dashpots are moving freely and you've got oil in them. Then the usual suspects, timing, spark and mixture.

8401 wrote:
Thanks guys,

Whats the best way to check for vacuum leaks?

Phil

For the inlet manifold, pour something in nice sensible SMALL quantites on it that you won't mind the engine ingesting, such as some light oil perhaps - and see if it disappears.
For the exhaust manifold, get a feather on a stick or something. Or some talcum powder. Don't burn yourself or set fire to the thing, of course. It doesn't sound farty to me though, as if it's got inlet/exhaust problems. Nope.

VR's just mentioned something I hadn't considered, the plug leads being out of order. I quite like that idea. Ditto lance, I suspect.
Or it's the timing. Or you're running it on stale garbage petrol. It looks tidy though!

Hi all,

1. I attached the breather pipe, still no different.

2. Checked the spark plugs, still no change

3. Vacumn leaks - none

4. Did the timing again, starts very well but still the miss-fire.

5. Compression test - Cy 4 = 150 PSI Cy 3 = 152 PSI CY 2 = 0 PSI CY 1 = 0 PSI

I put a bit of oil down the spark plug holes and still 0 compression, does that mean the valves have gone?

I am surprised and totally ruled this out because I got the head converted to unleaded it may be looking like he has not done the job right?

Or could there be another explanation?

Thanks Phil

Yes, check those rockers first just in case!

Other than that, was the head skimmed to make sure it's flat? Was the block checked to make sure it's flat? Is it possible there's something trapped in there, like a hose or a bit of crap? Even with a duff gasket I'd expect some pressure, that sounds and appears to be very much not sealing at all.

junkuser wrote:
Check that the valves are behaving correctly prior to removing the head.
Grasping at straws, but there are some possibilities.

However all the valves would have to be stuck open for it to give zero reading, which would be rare
I would say head gasket or............not even tightened down...........or terribly bowed head

Worse scenario.....and I have known it to happen....a snapped crank shaft

Most odd.

Check valve clearances on 1 & 2 though they'd need to be seriously tight to give 0 psi.

Wonder if you have a flat head gasket installed on a recessed block - this would make a major blow between cylinders 1 & 2 very likely and the greater surprise would be the 150 psi on the other two!

Nick

Thanks guys,

The head was skimmed and converted by a engineer, I have to trust him because it was a job I was unable to do. I will check the valve clearances but I am guessing I will have to remove the head.

To confirm I have a 73 spitfire would I need a recessed gasket, I am sure I have this fitted anyway?

Would I need the head skimming again, its onky been a couple of months?

Phil

Recessed gasket will have a tab on it which sticks out of the joint at the back of the engine.

Wouldn't have thought the head would need skimming again but it is still a bit of a mystery as to what the problem is.....

Stuck valve theory is worth persuing before taking the head off - though you might still have to take the head off to sort it properly.

Good luck and please report back.....

Nick