2500 Fast Road Engine - Where to Start?

Bradley1500

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree about Capri discs.
You will be pleasantly surprised.  After regularly boiling the brakes on my Old Blue race Vitesse, the venteds removed fade for ever, and I'm the last of the late brakers.

But the ball joint may need regular replacement.  It is so close to the disc that the rubber boot gets cooked, and cracks.   Spacers between steering arm and upright may help, but there is very little room. A fabricated steel arm, bent inwards might be better, but I've never done that.  Do NOT try heating and bending the OE cast iron arm!
Austin Princess 4-pot calipers will fit too, if you can fnd them.  Modern substitutes will be easier to find, and not need rebuilding, and maybe not need a spacer to clear the thick vented disc.

John

I can vouch for the reliability of the Quaife unit.
I took Silverback to CLM 2006.   While there, and unbeknownst to me, the keyway in one drive shaft broke.  As a result, I was driving only one wheel at the back through the Quaife, as the drive shaft was turning in the other wheel hub.    This led to less and less power getting to the remaining wheel as the diff. heated up, and I had to stop about halfway back to the Channel.

When the car was eventually brought back and the cause worked out, I assumed that the LSD would be knackered, and sent it to Quaife for inspection and quote for repair.  It was a very pleasant surprise to be charged a minimal sum for dismantling, inspection and rebuild but astonishing to be told that there was no measurable wear on any of the Quaife parts.

Also a commendation for Quaife's (the company's) integrity!

John

A shot of my setup with 3.0mm spacers 'tween steering arm and upright and 5.5mm 'tween caliper and mount. Worked for me, but others (Clive) needed thicker spacers at the steering arm. All down to the geometry of the bits on the car.

Hello John,

fitting modified arms, spacers or bending the steel original arms (they are not cast iron but a steel forging) will upset the ackerman angle and affect the toe with lock, probably OK for a racing car but not so good for the road.

Alec

Read a bit in the TSSC mag where Hugh Glossip wrote an article about vented discs and stuff. He mentioned original TRE's being larger than modern ones. Indeed, this seems to be the case. However, a couple of mm off the back of the hub is a true belt and braces solution :)

Maybe I'm missing something here......all Capri's except the last of the line 280 brooklands had 13" wheels anyway,the 280 had seven spokes similar to the 2.8i special but in 15" not 13".

If I've missed the point ignore me.
Cheers
Alex

Piman,
Steel, schmeel, don't mess with temper by red heat, unless you really know what you ars doing, and I don't pretend to.

Ackermann, schmackermann, play with the toe-in to optimise turning angle.

John

Glen,

I was only joking, I like to see any classics on the road. There are quite a few Morris Minors that go to shows around my area, most are fantastically restored and have mirrors under them to see how clean they are. I don't like the car and wouldn't have one but just love to see them on the road and in that condition. :)

Clive,

You'll have to let me know how you get on and what you decide on doing. I suspect your Zetec Spit will be pretty quick so if the brakes are good enough for that I think they'll be good enough for me.

Steve,

Thanks for the picture, all quite tight in there.

John,

It seems the Capri discs are a well trodden path, thinking this will probably be the best route. It's good to hear another opinion on the Quaifie diff, although it's expensive it sounds a great piece of kit and defiantly well built from your story.

Bradley.

4992 wrote:

I see now thanks for the info, this defiantly seems like a good route although expensive. Mind you I guess this is balanced out by not having to cough up for recon diffs all the time.

What would the gearing be like with a 3.63, type 9 and 2500?

Bradley.

Bradley

The gearing will be rubbish with the type 9 and a 3.63:1 diff.  I know this because i had that setup.  With the 3.27 I can cruise at 90mph doing 4000rpm with a top end of about 120mph.  The 3.27 did affect the acceleration a little but that just means you need more power!!!  Now I have EFI I don't find the acceleration too bad at all.  Have a look at the "Royvoy to prescott" thread for some video action of my GT6

339 wrote:

With the 3.27 I can cruise at 90mph doing 4000rpm with a top end of about 120mph.  

Now that I see those figures the type 9 does not have much of an overdrive. A 3.27 with an overdrive will pull 25 mph per 1000 rpm. Mine on 3.63 with a higher 28 % OD and larger tyres 205/55/15 pulls 24mph per 1000. @ 5800 rpm ( shift light setting ) is  0.8 mph shy of 140 mph.
96 mph at 4000 rpm.

339 wrote:

Bradley

The gearing will be rubbish with the type 9 and a 3.63:1 diff.  I know this because i had that setup.  With the 3.27 I can cruise at 90mph doing 4000rpm with a top end of about 120mph.  The 3.27 did affect the acceleration a little but that just means you need more power!!!  Now I have EFI I don't find the acceleration too bad at all.  Have a look at the "Royvoy to prescott" thread for some video action of my GT6

Thanks for the reply, Tim.

Good to hear from someone who's actually done and run a car with the mod.

From your experience I think I won't risk it and will go with the 3:27 probably with a Quaife.

I saw Smithy's video off your car taking off, bleeding quick get away, surprised me.

Bradley.

Gt6s wrote:

Now that I see those figures the type 9 does not have much of an overdrive. A 3.27 with an overdrive will pull 25 mph per 1000 rpm. Mine on 3.63 with a higher 28 % OD and larger tyres 205/55/15 pulls 24mph per 1000. @ 5800 rpm ( shift light setting ) is  0.8 mph shy of 140 mph.
96 mph at 4000 rpm.

The type 9 with a 3.27 gives 20mph per 1000 rpm which i think is the same as 4th OD with a 3.63

4992 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Tim.

Good to hear from someone who's actually done and run a car with the mod.

From your experience I think I won't risk it and will go with the 3:27 probably with a Quaife.

I saw Smithy's video off your car taking off, bleeding quick get away, surprised me.

Bradley.

It's only got 150bhp and 160ftlbs of torque but the low first gear on the type 9 with the 3.27 helps you get off the line

4992 wrote:

I gave up on 3.27's donkeys years ago I built up a strengthened differential unit with 3.27 CWP, the differential stood the test but then eventually the pinion split. That was the end of me and 3.27's.
Blew up a few 3.63's after that but have not looked back since going with the 3.63 Quaife combination.

Gt6s wrote:

I gave up on 3.27's donkeys years ago I built up a strengthened differential unit with 3.27 CWP, the differential stood the test but then eventually the pinion split. That was the end of me and 3.27's.
Blew up a few 3.63's after that but have not looked back since going with the 3.63 Quaife combination.

yes Laurence but not all of us have your power or as heavy a right foot as you ;) ;) ;D  although I am trying!! :)

339 wrote:

The type 9 with a 3.27 gives 20mph per 1000 rpm which i think is the same as 4th OD with a 3.63

A non OD Gt6 on 3.27 pulls 20mph per 1000

An OD Gt6 with 3.89 pulls 20 mph per 1000

OD @ 25% with 3.27 pulls 25mph per 1000

I run 28% OD and oversize tyres with 3.63 = 24 mph per 1000.

Nick_Jones wrote:
2.5 grunt plus low first gear does break 3.27 diffs...... plenty have proven this........ just a matter of time Tim...... (having watched an appreciated your Prescott video  :))

Nick

My diff was originals from Canley's and was a new "uprated" crown wheel and pinion.  The diff has started to whine just a little bit more after Sundays antics ??) ??)

I shall pull the diff in a couple of weeks and get it over to Mike Papworth to change the bearings and seals and check it over before the RBRR

Gt6s wrote:

A non OD Gt6 on 3.27 pulls 20mph per 1000

An OD Gt6 with 3.89 pulls 20 mph per 1000

OD @ 25% with 3.27 pulls 25mph per 1000

I run 28% OD and oversize tyres with 3.63 = 24 mph per 1000.

I was thinking about this last night.
Tim are you sure it was a 3.63 you had in not a 3.89 by any chance ?

Gt6s wrote:

I was thinking about this last night.
Tim are you sure it was a 3.63 you had in not a 3.89 by any chance ?

Laurence
i haven't ever driven a GT6 with a triumph gearbox so I was guessing, to a degree, at the mph per 1000rpm.  I stand corrected on the ratio :B :B

Archived