Front wheel bearings

Quickdraw

So it looks like my wheel bearings are knackered.  Does anybody know if the £15 wheel bearing kits off eBay are any good??
Is that the going rate or should I be spending more?
Also, is it possible to fit them without a hydraulic press?

Cheers guys.  

James Paddock usually pretty good but now charging for delivery I wonder if your bearings have been run too tight? They should always be slightly loose which upsets most MOT testers but is necessary to allow for thermal expansion in operation....

Hi
I replaced a front wheel bearing on Vitesse a couple of years ago from canley classics. Done about 6000 miles. About a tenner. Some say, have problems with some cheap bearings lasting a few hundred miles?.  I Had to nip it up a couple of times in that period of time.
One thing discussed on Club Triumph threads is the felty washer supplied with bearing. apparently it's better to re-use old one if ok as helps with not having to make a lot of future adjustments.

Dave

Ive had that problem with the new felts, wish i had used the old ones. My bearings came from Rimmers a bit expensive at £29 a side i thought. The outer tracks knocked out of the hubs easily with a hammer and a punch. A tip for knocking the new ones in is to grind the outside surface of a pair  of the old tracks until they are a loose fit in the hub then use the old track to knock the new track in, a lot better than trying to  use a punch on the narrow track edge, good luck,Dave.

The end float spec is 0.002 to 0.008"   thats hand nipmthe nut and back of one flat  mabe two

there are two holes in the stub to give fine adjustment

there must be some float or you will quickly sieze the outer bearing to the stub axle and thats an expensive mistake

the split pin is 3mm   1/8" diameter
Recheck the float after a few miles after refitting brgs and felts

If you can get Timken bearings they're pretty well regarded. You don't have to buy bearings from a parts supplier. You can buy bearings very cheaply online if you have the dimensions. I bought new wheel and headstock bearings (SKF brand) for one of my motorbikes, and the total for the 6 bearings came to less than the cost of one set of front bearings from an eBay supplier selling cheap rubbish.

Shop around, but try to ensure quality if possible.