Davemate

just got this off a mate so now i no longer have to nick one from my other mates (yes i only have two  ;D) hire shop.

the only thing i can that i would like to "fix" is the rusty feed wheel,does it need to be clean or is it ok as it is ?
if it needs to be spotless can i just use emery cloth or do i buy a new one

and the best place to get the gas re filled ?

That  looks ok Dave, Clarke are a good make.

The wheel should clean up with a with wire brush, I wouldn't use abrasive paper on it

Now the gas, I got mine from somewhere up your way and they delivered it too, I will try and find the delivery note but Adam gas are quite good.

Best to clean off the rust - as the wire goes over the wheel it breaks up the rust and the dust generated can make the wire slip - as I found out and it took me a bit of thinking to suss out the problem.  Same thing can happen with slightly rusty wire.  You should be able to remove the wheel and simply clean off the rust with abrasive paper - not too coarse, In my opinion no more than 180 grit.

You have what looks like a BOC bottle.  To change this you have to take out a rental contract with BOC, pay annual rental, pay for gas each time you need a refill, and pay a service charge of £20 per transaction .....!  A rip off and is why I have dumped BOC argoshield after 20 years.  Annual rental charge for the size bottle I had was £135 per year.

I have now gone over to Adams gas where you pay a deposit of £55 (inc vat) per bottle which is refundable when you finally have no more need of the gas and you return the bottle. On top of this you pay £36 (inc vat) for the gas.  To get refills and there is no stockist near you (their network is expanding) you order direct and they charge courier £10+vat for delivery of new bottle and the same for return of the empty cylinder - which is about the same as the BOC rip-off transaction charge.  Delivery when I ordered in the morning was next day.

The only down side is that the bottles are not as full as BOC (lower pressure) for the same price but I have found this is not a problem.  Done loads of welding on the Rangie and bottle still half full.  And if you have one bottle for two years with BOC you will pay £270 rental but with Adams nothing (you get your money back ......).

Bottle fittings (gauge etc.) are interchangeable between BOC and Adams.

Moving away from BOC was a no brainer with the massive saving in cost and easy transaction with Adams.  Check out their website for details.

Ted

Dave,I just checked and I'm with Adam gas, as Ted say's, they don't fill as much as some but I have welded my sons mini and the GT6 and still have plenty left.
A good idea is to take the wire roll in doors in the winter as they will start to rust if in your shed or garage and when that's happened, it's a right bugger to weld with. :)

firebobby wrote:
A good idea is to take the wire roll in doors in the winter as they will start to rust if in your shed or garage and when that's happened, it's a right bugger to weld with. :)

I found storing the wire in the bottom cabinet under the cooker worked really well!

236 wrote:
air liquide is cheaper than boc

If they are then there's not a lot in it, they are ultimately part of the same group and Air Liquide's pricing structureis very similar to BOCs.
Once I've finished the current work on my 'S' I'm ditching my Air Liquide contract and going to Adams.

Cheers,
Bill.

I did a lot of research into this a year or so ago.

There is a few threads

http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1323271721/s-5/highlight-adams/#num5

http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1294020469/s-70/highlight-adams/#num70

about page 5 of teh second one.

For you Dave Potters BAr is ecconomically viable to collect from, so may impact the figures slightly.

Also..... There is the mythical "BOC Home Enthusiast" scheme, which betters everything I think, if you can get the details!

Cheers

Colin

i have just changed to a boc account as it worked out cheaper and more convienant as have a stockist round the corner, It makes a difference if you have the very big bottles as its only about a £10 more than the smaller bottles for nearly twice the amount of gas.

cheers andy

I use Oxford welding supplies who do not have a hire cost, you just buy the bottle then pay per refill. Air Liquide and BOC both wanted silly money in Newbury and Oxford welding even deliver which is great although it did take longer than the time on their website to get it delivered!

Oli