Davemate

Hello all,

if you must use pub CO2 bottles, (argon\CO2 is better for welding with by all accounts) try your local (alchoholic) drinks distributor, they stock CO2 so you can swop your empty for a full.

Alec

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would expect a 20litre bottle to do you a car, if it isn't too rotten.

I have gotten through the equivalent of 1 doing a big saloon.

I got mine from the place in St Helens. About £80 deposit and £80 a fill. 20 litre at 200bar.

Keep the pressure to a sensible figure, 5litre a min I think.

Will last fine.

Cheers

Colin

BOC are offering "A hobbyist's discount" on MIG gas as mentioned here.

Stick with BOC but negotiate a better deal. I posted the following on this forum last summer......

I have always had a BOC Argoshield bottle and paid a small fortune for the gas and the bottle rental. That was until I discovered that BOC were offering a "hobbyist discount" over on the Mig Welding forum.
The guy at BOC that set up this discount for non commercial customers is into car restoration and posts on the welding forum. I now have replaced my small X sized bottle for the huge Y sized bottle (this is going to last me ages) for £61.31 for the gas and an annual rental of £35.77. Now I know this is still dearer that tapping up your local landlord for pub gas but it is a much better deal for any existing BOC customers amongst us and anyone considering Argoshield. The guy you need to contact is

Justin Crook
Business Development Advisor
Direct Sales
CSC Worsley, Manchester
Tel : 0161 930 6822
E Mail : justin.crook@boc.com

From my experience he is one of the most helpful friendly people you will ever deal with.

Contact Justin and ask him to put you onto the hobbyist discount deal, he should be able to sort it for you over the phone.

while I agree that argoshield is better I'm currently using CO2 bought from jawal paints, paid £40 i think for the first bottle, no rental then you just take it along and swap for a full one, cant remember how much the refill was though

3141 wrote:
BOC are offering "A hobbyist's discount" on MIG gas as mentioned here.

Thanks for the heads up on this -- perfect timing :) FWIW the info's also available in mig-welding.co.uk -- it's a sticky in the Shielding Gas forum (but I hadn't noticed it in spite of lurking around in there for the best part of a couple of years now until you pointed it out here).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived