Davemate

i've tried co2 and find argon much better,although a bit dearer.
  have just sent the boc bottle back,76 quid rental this year plus 40+vat for the refill.  got a bottle from barnet welding for 95 quid delivered. this includes a £50 returnable deposit.

at the moment you have to pay del back to them but later on in the year they are planning on having more agents so no postage costs.

probably works out at the same price as boc for the first year but after that it gets cheaper due to no rental.

craig

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i used this place  http://barnet-welding.co.uk/axp2

they are agents for adams gas,so if you're in the southeast poss better going direct to them and saving postage costs.

the actual size comparison i'm not sure of,i was on size x with boc and the new bottle is a bit shorter but fatter,this one filled to c2100 psi.

not a very good comparison i know but i used 1 boc per year so if i use the 1 of these per year then the 1st year is comparable to boc but the 2nd year will be cheaper. if it does'nt work out cheaper then get my dep back,not lost out as with the other costs through boc (vat,handeling) per fill its approx the same.

non the less it feels better not paying rental,at current prices its an extra bottle per year +change

craig

Ok then, I'm just about to buy some new tips and shrouds for my mig welder

Is there a difference in quality between different tips?
Are some better than others?

Should I buy a load of tips, or do I only need a few?

And what about shrouds?
Will I need a good few of these or not?

Wise to get a quite a few tips. They're cheap enough and they do wear out because the wire runs through them and will wear them out. There's also the possibility you might accidentally weld the wire to the tip while setting up the wire speed and need to replace it!

Shrouds you don't need so many of. I'm still on my first shroud. Apparently they can get clogged up with metal bits that have spat back from the weld. Mine is still as good as new - probably because I'm using a decent 'tip dip'. These coatings stop metal bits sticking and make life easier. They're usually grease like products but the one I use is a paint like product that doesn't drip into the weld like grease products can.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/shop/spatter-shield.htm

1903 wrote:
Anybody else got any recommendations for gas suppliers?

Give Adams Gas a call on 0800 195 4445, their website says they send it by courier but they now have agents up and down the country who are able to supply rent free bottles.

I called them this morning and found they have 2 agents in Bristol  :) I just have to learn how to use my mig now  :-/

http://www.adamsgas.co.uk/stat_ind_product.aspx?ctrl=argon&gclid=CO-Bo4G0-6YCFUYifAodtHjnEw

These are the sums.

If you can eliminate any cost from collection the Adams cylinders get better value.

Adams Gas (via Barnet welding, my nearest so far found)

9 litres at 135bar = 1215 nominal units. £32.50 a fill. £26.75 per 1000 nominal units.

4 gallons of petrol to go and collect = £24 or £12.50 delivery.

£50 deposit

Welding Gases

20 litres at 210bar = 4200 nominal units. £78 a fill. £18.58 per 1000 nominla units

delivery is £13.20.

£72 deposit.

1903 wrote:
Yep.......I've just got a Cebora

I'm going to get that shroud paste you mentioned

Will I also need to aerosol to spray on the items I'm welding?

Ie, paste for the torch, aerosol for the metal?

I use anti spatter now, and when the inside of my shrouds start to clog up will scrape it out.  After a while the splatter cannot be scraped off so I give it  bit of a file to clean it up until it is obviously ready for the scrap bin.  You can buy a special scraper tool but I have been too tight/lazy to do so.

Useful info on gas prices and sources and must look into it for the Forest of Dean or other parts of Gloucestershire (and Chichester for my son in law who is using my argoshild bottle ....... which I am paying for(angry).  I have always used BOC (acetylene, oxygen and Argoshield) but must admit that I am getting fed up with the rental charges ..... have been with them for over 25 years so could have bought a number of bottles outright with what I have paid in rental.  It wasn't too bad when they did the long term rentals and you could save a year or more of charges by paying this way but they stopped it so they could screw you for more money.

Ted

just thought - I need a cable lug for the end of my earth cable in order to attach it to my earch clamp

I've seen various sizes available
16, 25, 35 (or something along those lines)

How do I measure my earth wire so that I know which size cable lug to buy?

I think I've got it now

The sizes (16,25,35, etc....) refer to the cables cross sectional area

So,

a 16mm2 cable has a diameter of 4.51mm
25mm2 = 5.64mm
35mm2 = 6.68mm

Given the above, I need a 35mm2 lug as my cable is (as accurately as I can measure it) approximately 7mm in diameter

:)

Archived