Davemate

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent! That should serve you well.

I've just started teaching myself to MIG weld and I can honestly say that half the battle is using good equipment. With a decent welder, auto-darkening mask, argon and co2 mix gas and good quality wire, I seem to have been able to produce very repeatable and good quality welds almost straight out of the box. Now all I need to do is make them neater!

Richard_B wrote:
I think the 180's are the lowest powered ones of the highend wheeled units. Well worth the money!

Enjoy

Yep it's a big 'un

Really good quality - even the wheels are ball bearing castors

Now my next question is, should I go for 0.6 or 0.8 wire for body and chassis work?

Are the 15kg rolls from Machine Mart any good?

The 0.6s are more expensive than the 0.8s but that's because they're the same weight, so the thinner reel will have a longer length to make up the weight

But, would I actually get more use out of the longer 0.6 roll, or would I just be welding slower with the thinner gauge, and therefore still applying the same amount of weld?

If you intend doing a lot of aluminium welding go for 0.8 but if not then 0.6 will be fine for all car needs, chassis included.
0.6 tips, wire, liner, etc are all a lot easier to find on a Sunday afternoon when you desperately need them and only Halfords is open!

They are generally machine specific but there does tend to be a lot of crossover due to the fact that a lot of the machines sold under different brand names will be manufactured by the same company.

Check out this site for tips and shrouds etc..

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/shop/hobby-torches.htm

Halfords only seem to sell stuff for SIP welders.

1903 wrote:

Now my next question is, should I go for 0.6 or 0.8 wire for body and chassis work?

Are the 15kg rolls from Machine Mart any good?

No point using 15 kilo rolls unless you are welding all day every day, 15 kilos is a lot of wire. Wire goes rusty when not used.

0.6 or 0.8 what about 5 kilo rolls of each ?

0.6 will still be suitable for chassis work.

I was advised to use Argon/Co2 mix for the cleanest possible welds and it's working out good so far! I'm renting a bottle of Argoshield Light from BOC. If you're only doing a bit though , you can get Argon CO2 mix in little disposable bottles too - you might need to change your regulator though and they are expensive for what they are.

I did some research a while ago.

There is a thread about it on teh forum. Renting from BOC is now extortionate. The deposit on the big bottles is the same as a years rental. LIttle bottles run out very quick and cost a fortune. There is a place in St Helens that does a big bottle, filled to 230bar, for £60 + £60 deposit. 5% Argon mix.

Or blag a CO2 bottle from a friendly pub (make sure it isn't one of the doctored ones the brewerys sometimes use to prevent this) and a convertor for the LH thread and use that.

Argon mix is better.

Cheers

Colin

willcolumbine wrote:
Yes, BOC is expensive - but it depends what you compare it to! I'm renting a Y size bottle for about £80 a year with refills costing £40. The same amount of gas in dispoables from Machine Mart would cost £480!

My thinking was that the Y-size bottle is £60 deposit from the place in St Helens which is less than 1 year rental. Yes the refill is 50% more, but it takes me 3-4 years to empty a bottle.

I used to rent Oxygen and Acetelyne bottles as well from BOC. That was starting to get stupid each year so they went back.

Cheers

Colin

Archived