Spitfire/Vitesse Conversion - Fuel Pressure issues

JimboSails

So, my Spitfire is nearly ready for MOT. As per my previous thread, I've got one which has had a 2l Vitesse Engine installed.

All runs very smoothly, however I have a couple of issues.

The first is that the throttle pedal evidently has some wear on the linkage, and takes forever to 'engage' as it were - this means that I don't get the full range of travel on it. Some new pedal parts should fix this I think, but it's on my list to take apart for a closer look.

A more pressing issue is the fuelling. The car has a mechanical fuel pump, and it seems that whilst it will idle fine, and rev at a standstill, fuel pressure drops off under load. Frequently to get it going I have to prime the fuel pump by hand (using the lift lever underneath), so there is a fuel issue somewhere.

I've checked all the pipes and they're all OK. The pump is obviously doing something, but maybe not enough. So - my main question is, what are people's opinions on this, should I:
1. Check the diaphragm in the pump, make sure the cam isn't excessively worn, bleed the whole system etc etc, or
2. Should I write it all off and buy an electric pump?

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers,

Jim

I loved my Huco low pressure pump designed for carbs with float bowls. It cuts out once the float bowls are full and you can hear it prime when you turn the ignition on. Really nice to know its working, cant be heard once engine is running.  However the choice is yours really.

Chris.

Jim,
Before you get into replacing the throttle pedal et al, make sure that the cable is correctly adjusted.

And on the fuel pump, as the catalogues say, "End Fuel Pump Misery!"
Get an electric one.   Facet make a tiny 'Solid State' pump that is easily able to provide for a 2 litre Vitesse engine.
See: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/110711988088?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95&ff19=0
(No connection with the sellers)

John
PS Nice engine choice for a Spitfire!  Will yours be a 'GiTfire' or a 'Vitfire'?

Guys, cheers for all the pointers!

It looks like a no brainer - electric pump it is.

In terms of checking the throttle cable, there actually doesn't seem to be one; it seems to be all a rod based linkage - when I push the pedal, a floating rod goes up, and pushes up the throttle on the side of the carbs. It seems to me like there's play in the pedal/rod pushing interface (if that makes any sense!).

JohnD - what are the criteria for Gitfire vs Vitfire?!? I think it's currently a Gitfire!!

Back to basics.

What size pipe does the Spitfire have? Is that sufficient diameter to flow petrol for a 2 litre engine?

Is it a MkIV / 1500 Spitfire? In which case the pipe is inserted into the tank from above. The pump has to suck the fuel up out of the tanks first.   I know syphonic action helps, but...

Is it an old steel pipe, maybe its blocked, corroded?

I had a lot of sediment in my PI Spitfire tank after it had been standing fo a couple of years. The engine would only run when the tank was over a 1/4 of a tank full, until I cleaned the tank out.

5999 wrote:
I have also binned the mechanical pump (and it's long winded pipe runs) and fitted an "SU" type of pump (electronic not points) and a fuel pressure regulator set at 2.5psi. No issues at all from my Strombergs

Hi, can I ask where you purchased your fuel pressure regulator from? I'm after one for the opposite problem of overfueling.

that will be plenty. Carbs require flow, not pressure. I ran a pair of dellortos at 1psi. Mainly to reduce problems with fuel surge in the float chambers (helped a bit) and they never ran low on fuel when the right foot was planted. And they could drink fuel if you tried!

Yes, but I would be inclined to use a relay if it uses much current (more than 3amps, which is likely) and fuse the supply too.
Really you should include an inertia switch too, so the pump switches off in the event of an impact, you won't want fuel being pumped...
cheap off the bay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-MK1-Fuel-Cut-Off-Switch-98-05-/301165758424?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item461ee0c7d8

What Fuel filters are you using??? I changed to a modern throw away type fuel filter when I got the Huco pump. I think it was a Ford Focus 1.6 2001 as it had the ends to fit the 8mm pipes to and from. It wont let any crap through and you can fit it anywhere before the pump. In 12 months toss it and fit a new one. I never had any other fuel problems after that filter and pump.

Chris.