philheys100

Hi all,

Anyone got a good idea for improving the dround wires, I am having problems with the ground wires on my Spitfire I have cleaned them especially the earth strap and the part were they connect to the car.

Is there a type of conductive grease or something I cold use to help?

Thanks

I ran an extra earth strap to the engine, using the gearbox mounting stud at the top of the bell housing.
Have you cleaned the paint etc off the contact area to shiny metal?
If so, a coating of grease/waxoil to protect should be all that is needed.

This is the engine earth wire?
The OE is a manky little length of wire mesh, that usually gets lost somewhere along the line.   When you consider the current that an alternator generates at some times, it's a surprise if the OE 'wire' don't just melt.    I use a length of starter cable, bolted to the block at some convenient spot and to the bulkhead at the battery earth point.   Proper heavyweight endings swaged on, and as said above, the surfaces they bolt to made bright with sandpaper.  A little copperease between the surfaces does no harm, will prevent corrosion blunting the bright surfaces, and as little pieces of copper get crushed between them, does no harm to the conduction.     I was recommended to do this by a pro. electrician.

JOhn

I used a Grounding kit on my spitfire both when it was metal and also now it's plastic. It improved things massively. Connected it from battery earth too.....

1. Alternator body
2. engine block
3. wiper motor (massive difference)
4.Front headlamp earthing point on chassis
5. horn earthing point.

Made a big difference and only cost £15-£20 I think. You can choose the colour too. Chad bling anyone.

The Kit

Dark but fitted.

Chris.

Hi all,

I have made sepearte earths for all the lights on the rear, front headlights side lights working perfectly. Rear lights working however my footbrake does not return enough to turn off the brake light switch which I will sort out.

I am still getting a fast flash on my indicators tried all the earths by attaching an earth wire directly to the battery and testing each earth to see it slows the flash - no change.

The hunt goes on!

Thanks