instrument Bulb holder

JayGT6

Been playing about behind the dash today and have noticed that the bulb that illuminates the rev counter has snapped off in the holder. I can't get the remains of the bulb out so any ideas on where I can get a new bulb and holder from? I've looked on rimmer bros and can't seem to find the correct one.

I assume that means the bulb base & holder have corroded & fused.
I'd suggest soaking the area between with WD-40 overnight, then go after it with a small pick like a dental explorer to find a place to bend the base away from the holder, & then get the needle nose pliers on anything that affords purchase.

8328 wrote:
Been playing about behind the dash today and have noticed that the bulb that illuminates the rev counter has snapped off in the holder. I can't get the remains of the bulb out so any ideas on where I can get a new bulb and holder from? I've looked on rimmer bros and can't seem to find the correct one.

Which model car?
I did an article in the CT mag which explained how to upgrade by using a modern lamp holder/bulb

7586 wrote:
Plenty on eBay if you search MES (miniature Edison screw).
Also take the opportunity to replace bulbs with leds. Cheap as chips, bright and cold running and available in green too!

Or E10 .. that's normally the right size  :)
I've put green led's in all my gauge's .. and now they are clearly visible  ;)

If you're considering going down the LED path may I suggest adding a dimmer into the circuit. I've used these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8A-12V-1-CH-Brightness-Adjustable-LED-Dimmer-Controller-For-LED-Light-Strip-/310661060278?pt=AU_Lighting_Fans&hash=item4854d796b6 for a number of different 12v LED lights and found them to be effective and reliable. Easy to remove the electronics and mount anywhere. Always used the cheapest I could find.

Cheers.

I ordered these E10 LED's, went for the wide angle lens for a more diffused green light as LED's tend to have a spot light effect on the speedo/rev dial face.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380647545827?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Might not be bright enough but for a couple of quid worth the punt me thinks.. will post results...:)

UPDATE

The 5 LED's as per link (next day delivery BTW, highly recommended seller ;) ) fitted in my Spit on the speedo, rev counter, smiths oil pressure/water temp gauge, vac gauge and time clock.

Conclusion: No brighter than original glass 2.2w bulbs a fraction dimmer infact but more green in colour so look more defined, fresh and newer looking than washed out green.

Less amps and no heat on the old girls wiring so happy to do the mod for a few quid.. !

Oh......and a bad back from an hour upside down, plus skinned knuckles and a little blood on the job....all in a days Triumphing ;D  ;D  ;D

uksnatcher wrote:
UPDATE

LED's as per link fitted in my Spit on the speedo, rev counter, smiths oil pressure/water temp gauge, vac gauge and time clock.

Conclusion: No brighter than original glass 2.2w bulbs a fraction dimmer infact but more green in colour so look more defined, fresh and newer looking than washed out green.

Less amps and heat so happy to do the mod for a few quid (and a bad back from an hour upside down, plus skinned knuckles and a little blood on the job....all in a days Triumphing ;D  ;D  ;D )

I've got other led's and they are brighter .. and more green also.
All the green lenses where burned out and in my oil pressure gauge there wasn't a green lens in ..
But will see how i like the look of it when i'm driving her  ;)

uksnatcher wrote:

Which green LED's have you got Wim? Any chance of the link   :)

The last ones i've bought where these ..

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/2x-4-SMD-LED-Bright-Green-233-T4W-BA9S-Cap-Bayonet-Side-Light-Interior-Bulbs-12v-/160911884697?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2577188199&_uhb=1

But you also got some with 1smd led .. still didn't test them ..
i also got some with a regular led in .. but they are not so bright

I think i've got these in the speedo & rev ..

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/GREEN-QUAD-12v-LED-SIDELIGHT-BULBS-BA9S-233-T4W-VW-VAG-SCIROCCO-CORRADO-/261180315518?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ccf8f577e&_uhb=1

The thing is .. you can't find many led's that fit in the E10 holder  :-/
So i make them from ba9s to E10 :p

uksnatcher wrote:
Ah, so that's why I was struggling to find the super bright E10 MES green led bulbs......unobtainium.... ;)

So you managed to get the easily available BA9S bulb in the E10 holder, good idea........ did you transplant the led into an E10 base Wim or just force it in?

Transplanted it  ;D
Just solder the bottom loose ..
then it all comes apart .. get the ba9s holder off.. place the E10 one on it, solder is again (can be tricky sometimes  :o ) but worked  ;)

A good year ago i've bought E10 green led bulb's , but now can't find them .. even in hongkong or china  :-/

uksnatcher wrote:
Nice work Wim, apprentice tinkerer you are sir.....!

Nice open profit making venture in Triumph upgraded dash lights seeing as you cant buy them maybe...???

;D learned that at my previous work (building/making electrical circuit boards) .. if they don't sell it.. make your own  :P