Advice on repairing hinge bolt holes

Pete TR7

Now I have the Spitfire back together I have a slight problem getting the door to hang properly.  Some of the threads in the bolt plates inside the A post have stripped so the hinges have only a 2 bolts securing them instead of 3, this is the single one furthest from the door.

Its been like this for years but having replaced the floor and sills I want to get the alignment right now.

So any tips on how to correct this?

I have heard that you can drill and retap for a larger bolt, possibly M8, or what about using a helicoil repair?

2528 wrote:
Now I have the Spitfire back together I have a slight problem getting the door to hang properly.  Some of the threads in the bolt plates inside the A post have stripped so the hinges have only a 2 bolts securing them instead of 3, this is the single one furthest from the door.

Its been like this for years but having replaced the floor and sills I want to get the alignment right now.

So any tips on how to correct this?

I have heard that you can drill and retap for a larger bolt, possibly M8, or what about using a helicoil repair?

Hi
One of my hinge bolt's are retaped to M10  >:(  M8 is also possible  ;)

Kind regards Wim

Pete,

I think the problem with the helicoil is that the plate is not so thick, and will only leave you minimal amount of helicoil thread, and when you tighten it, it may not hold so good, or possably strip.

It may work it may not!

Personally, I would drill and tap to the next size up, but don't forget to use the correct clearance drill so you get a good thread cut,  :)

Hello Pete,

I would give the helicoil a go, especially if you loctite the insert in place?  It doe smake future work much easier if the fastener heads are all the same size, and for that reason I would never consider using metric fasteners on an imperial threaded car.

Alec

Sorrt to disagree Alec, but I dont think you can helicoil 3/16th plate very weel.

best thing to doo, take them out,  they are held in by folds of metal flaps, only need to bent em back
and they can be took out, whenst out, 2 options
1, make new ones
2, weld nuts on
3, weld extra plate on
4, plate and nuts.

I went for  extra nuts,  for the simple reason that when tapped oot bigger,
there is less thread per inch,so the thread strip even easier.

thicker plate causes probs, as it wont fit where the other come oot,
to my annoyance.

so nuts and new plate / weld, will be best bet.

M

Hello marcus,

Not ideal, I agree but for that application it is practical. However, not being familiar with this specific car, if they are easily removed and replaced then just make new plates. Most  cars there is not that option as the plates are boxed in.

Alec

• 2 months later...