Dash wiring - got a few spare wires!

RYGhost

Evening all,

Been a long while since I was last on here.  House moves, child, exams etc..anyway.

Finally made some progress on the spit.  Bodywork is welded, bulkhead and interior metalwork/seams are painted and I'm in the process of refitting the interior and dash.

Got a few wires though that don't seem to go anywhere.  The first one is white/purple stripe, coming out of the loom (on its own) above the brake/accelerator pedel (UK car, 1978 1500 spit).  it's not for the brake pedal switch, and it's not for the rev counter (which has a green wire, white/grey and the earth (plus the bulb wiring).  Any ideas what it's for?  Def not for the ignition, indicators, hazards or speedo either.  Funny thing is, the rev counter does seem to have a spare spade connection (but according to the wiring diagram on the 'net (from that US spitfire site) there's nothing missing...

Second one.  A single wire, white/pink, ending in a bullet-acceptor connection.  Comes out of the loom just behind the heating controls.  Again, doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Finally, there are two bulbs attached to metal brackets, centre dash, connected to the loom by purple wires (different bulb holders to those that fit in the back of the gauges).  These have always just been dangling loose.  Any ideas - I'm guessing these are supposed to backlight the radio?  While we're on the subject, it looks like there's supposed to be a bulb to backlight the the text on the heater control bit.  Nothing was ever connected on mine, though.

Appreciate any help.  Unfortunately, the wiring diagrams aren't much use.

BTW, I've got lots of spare parts.  Anyone want to swop something for a handbrake rest or the gearbox cover tunnel trim (the curved vinyl bit that holds the knee pads in)

Chris

Don't know, but.

Pink is I think radio. The White with purple (well white always signifies ignition switched)....

Think its been discussed before about the back light not being installed by the factory (I think it was a maybe feature). Some people have wired them up to good effect.

chris_spit wrote:
The first one is white/purple stripe, coming out of the loom (on its own) above the brake/accelerator pedel (UK car, 1978 1500 spit).  it's not for the brake pedal switch, and it's not for the rev counter (which has a green wire, white/grey and the earth (plus the bulb wiring).  Any ideas what it's for?

Courtesy light switches activated by the doors opening. Some only had drivers, later cars had both sides. Judging by the text below:

chris_spit wrote:
there are two bulbs attached to metal brackets, centre dash, connected to the loom by purple wires (different bulb holders to those that fit in the back of the gauges).  These have always just been dangling loose.  Any ideas - I'm guessing these are supposed to backlight the radio?

looks like you have both sides.

No UK Spitfires afaik had the heater controls illuminated, BL cheaped out on that one. Would like a bulb and holder myself if anyone in the US has one...

chris_spit wrote:
The first one is white/purple stripe, coming out of the loom (on its own) above the brake/accelerator pedel (UK car, 1978 1500 spit).  it's not for the brake pedal switch, and it's not for the rev counter (which has a green wire, white/grey and the earth (plus the bulb wiring).  Any ideas what it's for?  

White/purple wire in this location was used on the US-Spec spitfires for a light to illuminate the ignition key.  There was a second pin-switch on the driver's door A-post to turn it on (you can see the holes for it on the left-hand A-post on many UK-spec cars).  I do not know of any white/purple wires on a UK spec car.

chris_spit wrote:
Funny thing is, the rev counter does seem to have a spare spade connection (but according to the wiring diagram on the 'net (from that US spitfire site) there's nothing missing...

yup.  There is a redundant earthing connection on the rev counter body.  If you look closely, the third tag (the one nearest the bottom if I remember correctly) is connected to the rev counter housing.  This is not needed on your car and should be left unconnected.

chris_spit wrote:
Second one.  A single wire, white/pink, ending in a bullet-acceptor connection.  Comes out of the loom just behind the heating controls.  Again, doesn't seem to go anywhere.

As other have said - this is the radio supply.  It should be live when the ignition is in the first (Aux) position before the ignition is switched on.

chris_spit wrote:
Finally, there are two bulbs attached to metal brackets, centre dash, connected to the loom by purple wires (different bulb holders to those that fit in the back of the gauges).  These have always just been dangling loose.  Any ideas -

footwell illumination/courtesy lights when the doors are open.  They are controlled by a pin-switch in each A-post.  The metal bracket of each bulb should be screwed to the lower edge of the dashboard supporting frame.  On the driver's side it is between the steering column and the centre console.  On the passenger side it is on the secion that slopes up from the centre console towards the glove box.  You can just see the pool of light created by the passenger side courtesy light on this picture in front of my map-reading light (which is turned off!)

chris_spit wrote:
While we're on the subject, it looks like there's supposed to be a bulb to backlight the the text on the heater control bit.  Nothing was ever connected on mine, though.

Also, as others have said - these were never fitted to UK cars, and there is no provision for them in the wiring loom.  Strangely though, the Leylands parts book, and also the micro-fiche parts diagrams supplied to Leyland dealerships showed this heater illumination lamp and gave a part number for it.
In the early '90s I was able to walk into a Rover dealership and order this lamp and associated bracket from the spares counter.

hope this helps
bodders1

1704 wrote:
Is the radio supply not a spur off the heater motor on a '78 1500 spitty and live without the ignition on like the MIV :-/

8)

I connot comment with certainty on the Mark IV wiring.  
On the 1500 it is not a spur from the heater motor.  It is a separately wired feed from the ignition switch.  The heater fan only comes on with the ignition circuit.  The radio is live one click earlier on the ignition switch.

bodders1 wrote:

I connot comment with certainty on the Mark IV wiring.  
On the 1500 it is not a spur from the heater motor.  It is a separately wired feed from the ignition switch.  The heater fan only comes on with the ignition circuit.  The radio is live one click earlier on the ignition switch.

Technically, the heater is a spur off the radio wiring!

White/pink wire from ignition switched into a double bullet connector behind the dash - one goes to a green (and yellow?) wire to the heater, another white/pink wire goes to the radio..

AndyF wrote:
Bod,
why is grass growing inside the spit?
AndyF

AndyF - did you just question God? (Where is the "completely amazed" emoticon?) <amazed emoticon goes here>

"Aaron the Invincible" wrote:

"...and he even offered me a lemonade once"

That was manna, I suspect. Probably from Heaven. God does that a fair bit, I've read.

Howard81 wrote:

Technically, the heater is a spur off the radio wiring!

White/pink wire from ignition switched into a double bullet connector behind the dash - one goes to a green (and yellow?) wire to the heater, another white/pink wire goes to the radio..

Howard.  What you are describing is the wiring of a Mark IV.  
This thread is concerning a 1978 1500.  They are different.   And, technically, the radio feed on a 1500 is not a spur from the heater fan, neither is the heater a spur from the radio.

Re: ???
Bodders, you're my Godders of things electrical, since you've helped me a couple of times and you seem to be right on about these things, usually.
Is all.
I don't think you're actually a deity, and I'm not genuflecting. Hence the hijack of this thread, mea culpa.
Just credit where it's due, I say. :)

Archived