Clutch plates and flywheels......

Ridgetone Triumph

Why do they stick when you don't use the car for more than 3 weeks?
Since I fitted a new Clutch and pressure plate the clutch freezes onto the flywheel, any thing over 3 weeks and it is stuck. Over the Christmas period 3 months and it took 2mls of ruthless clutch and crash changes before the clutch let go. It doesn't make any difference whether the car is inside dry or on the drive, after 3 weeks it sticks, though 3 weeks it frees up with a few reverse gear cranks on the key attempts, anything longer and it is a real pain  

We could start a survey, perhaps it's the brand of clutch? Maybe there's iron particles in  the driven plate lining? I use to encounter this frequently back in the day when we use to collect cars that had been stood for months on end but not weeks. No idea why otherwise. Hope you get it sorted.

My experience is the same as Nicks.
So, same type of cars, kept in same conditions. The only variable can be the clutch itself.
Trouble is you don't know what clutch is in there (or indeed how old)

Never had trouble with a modern car. The Toledo has a NoS Borg and Beck (asbestos type) I fitted, and when left for 6 months no issues.
And that info doesn't really help....

This is the first time I have had it happen to a big saloon, though only since the new clutch. It just seems to happen to some cars and not others 🤔
Oh well.......I remember buying a 1967 MK1 that sat in the grass for over 2 years in NZ, that clutch was stuck and in the end I had to remove the gearbox and pressure plate so I could use a bolster chisel and hammer to separate the clutch from the flywheel 😀
I now am remembering that the race car once had a stuck clutch after sitting for months, though this unstuck after a few minutes warming up the car.
It has to be down to the type of material used in the plate linings??

I did degrease the plate and the flywheel which was a lightened TR6 one, which I de-greased and sanded with emery cloth, now there's a thought if the emery cloth was too course maybe it has left grip groves on the surface of the flywheel, creating the suction effect   (think)

Hi Folks,
            from post #1 - why do they stick.

Somebody mentioned moisture. Moisture gets everywhere.

The very very small gap between the clutch plate and the flywheel will hold enough moisture to cause the flywheel to rust.
You may not be able to even see the rust but it is there.

This rust binds with the coarse matrix of the clutch plate- The result is. it is stuck.

It may be possible to press the clutch pedal down and keep it there whilst in store. It will not stop the rust but will stop the binding.

Roger

Interesting that you should say that Roger. A friend of mine who had a huge collection of car had blocks of wood placed firmly on the clutch pedals  hold there from the drivers seat, plus most of the cars were on blocks.
I have thought of doing this to the Estate as it will be unused for the next 3 months while we are in NZ.
Is this advisable or could it cause seal failure inside the master and slave cylinders?

If you consider how much the seals deflect when under pressure I would have thought there was no problem.

The seals move virtually nowhere as they are already in close contact.
They probably  deflect more upon returning to their 'off' position.

Roger