RBRR21

Team 166 has arrived well in Germany again with their Triumph 2500TC and hopes to participate in 2023.
I would like to thank the organising team and the many marshals, without whom such an event would not be possible. You do a great job.
The selected routes were again varied and a lot of fun.
The breakfast was very good (Land's End), I can't say anything about the Seaview, we had to repair our car.
The refuelling worked well everywhere, also with the support of WhatsApp.
I would like to make one more improvement. Please make the stickers thicker or use magnetic stickers. These are not much more expensive, but still a souvenir of the event. Whether in the garage or on the fridge in the kitchen. We got to know them the first time at the Border Raiders 2019 and I use them since 3 years at my rallies in Germany. All the participants there are thrilled. Easy to attach, don't get lost or broken and don't damage the paintwork either. I would gladly pay the additional costs via the entry fee.

Kind regards
Marcus

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Like 1

HI Marcus,

Thanks for coming over and taking part, we are very pleased that you and Thorsten did this, massive commitment to our event considering the covid situation. We very much missed the other European crews that normally come over.

Stickers: I am surprised that a few had issues with them, I always apply with a small amount of hot water with a dash of detergent in the water, not too much water though. Once on, I leave the car for a day, don't drive the car and find them very well adhered. I am sorry, but I don't think we can afford to go the magnetic route as quite expensive and also they don't seem to work well on cars that have curved panels. However, magnetic sheets are available, so why not buy some and then put the stickers onto the sheet and then onto the car. Otherwise, use tape around the edges. We would be very happy to send the pdf for the stickers to you in advance of the event and you could then get some magnetic stickers made up at home? Seems a good compromise.

Thanks for the compliments, very much appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again in 2023.

Tim

I stuck the stickers to motorway grade magnetic sheet, then left them in the sun on thebonnet of a car to heat them up and make glue more sticky and flatten the sheet.

a strip of insulating tape down front edge as a belt and braces approach and they went nowhere.

the plaque stickers kept peeling up off the sheets of plastic I applied them to front and back,  so they had tape on multiple edges.

3 minutes ago, Tim Hunt said:

Just a thought on the stickers. If they are first gently warmed with a hair drier they peel off much more easily and remain in a suitable state to keep as mementos.

Tim

You could wallpaper the house with yours Mr H, the amount you must have accumulated 🙂

• Like 1

I’ve not had a problem peeling off stickers, and the 2018’s came off relatively easily. When peeling I did not pull ‘outwards’ but it peeled back along the sticker, as pulling outwards might encourage the paint to pull away. 

I fixed them with a spray of water, damped slightly with a rag, then stuck on. 

Kevin

Plus 1 for using Motorway grade magnetic sheet. This was my first RBRR and I purchased the magnetic stuff after someone posted the idea on the forum. All signs were put on this way to our Dolly Sprint and didn’t move despite the odd period of 80mph (well that’s what the Speedo said😉). The point about certain cars not having enough flat are to use this method is understood, but it worked on our car. 
Mike

PS. Great and well organised event. Let’s not overdo criticism and deflate the organisers. They deserve a big thank you.

FBBBE9CE-A42E-49FA-99D2-7D3B14750799.jpeg

• Like 1

I never had a problem with my stickers (Although I was the only member of Team Spotlight who never.)

I peeled mine off the backing sheet and soaked them in a bowl of clean soapy water before sticking them to some magnetic sheeting. I then waited for them to dry and then cut round them. They stayed on all the way round and for the home journey too. 

I used the motorway grade magnetic sheets.

I wipe over the magnetic sheet with warm soapy water, slide the stickers to the desired location, push out any air bubbles and leave to dry before cutting round them.

No tape was used and nothing came off.

Just wished I had more Scotch Pie Hunter magnetic stickers as they seemed to be a desirable addition to quite a few cars whether they wanted them or not, Mr Bancroft.

Jim.

I had a bit of peeling and flap-damage to one sticker this year - the one on the boot lid, where its leading edge (to the wind) was on a curve. The rear wing ones (which were decidedly not smooth as the panel is a compound curve) survived fine. I've not removed them yet but from past experience getting them warm (I usually pour hot water over them) helps, as Tim says.

5 hours ago, Tim Bancroft said:

HI Marcus,

Thanks for coming over and taking part, we are very pleased that you and Thorsten did this, massive commitment to our event considering the covid situation. We very much missed the other European crews that normally come over.

Stickers: I am surprised that a few had issues with them, I always apply with a small amount of hot water with a dash of detergent in the water, not too much water though. Once on, I leave the car for a day, don't drive the car and find them very well adhered. I am sorry, but I don't think we can afford to go the magnetic route as quite expensive and also they don't seem to work well on cars that have curved panels. However, magnetic sheets are available, so why not buy some and then put the stickers onto the sheet and then onto the car. Otherwise, use tape around the edges. We would be very happy to send the pdf for the stickers to you in advance of the event and you could then get some magnetic stickers made up at home? Seems a good compromise.

Thanks for the compliments, very much appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again in 2023.

Tim

My take on the stickers is that they are fine, its just the cleaning /polish available now is so good, they cant stick to it.

I cleaned the first door with Meguirs Ultimate quick detailer spray. Sticker virtually fell of.

Recleaned with brake cleaner and reapplied and it stuck fine.

17 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

You could wallpaper the house with yours Mr H, the amount you must have accumulated 🙂

Actually they cover the inside of the garage doors Pete, together with 10CR stickers and various other stickers or plaques - Border raiders, HCR, Coast to Coast, Int Autoecosse etc., I even found room for some TR Register ones!

Kevin is quite right, far better to peel the stickers off in the plane of a panel rather than normal to it.

Tim

Peeled my stickers off on Monday lunchtime from my 1500 Spitfire and they were proper stuck - going nowhere... I really do think it's just the surface they are attached to.  Mine was perfect but there will be others, where the stickers don't take. 

Thanks again everyone - we had a blast 

Team 172 The Concrete Cows

2 hours ago, MK Joe said:

I really do think it's just the surface they are attached to.

Most likely. I've habitually washed and polished then applied the stickers. This year I used a different polish and the stickers didn't initially look like they were holding. However, they all held up better than the passenger door one three years ago.

• Like 1

I must confess that pre-PBRR is the only time my car sees polish, and that's just where the stickers are going since it makes them easier to remove. I use silicone and wax-free 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and I note the container, most of the contents of which remain, has a best before date of July 2006!

Tim

• Like 1

On 05/10/2021 at 20:41, McJim said:

I used the motorway grade magnetic sheets.

I wipe over the magnetic sheet with warm soapy water, slide the stickers to the desired location, push out any air bubbles and leave to dry before cutting round them.

No tape was used and nothing came off.

Just wished I had more Scotch Pie Hunter magnetic stickers as they seemed to be a desirable addition to quite a few cars whether they wanted them or not, Mr Bancroft.

Jim.

Jim

I've retained our pie sticker for reuse in 2023😀

Bruce