New owner and member to the site :)

Dave Bunney

Good evening all,

I thoguht I would introduce myself as I have just signed up to the site. 

I'm Dave from Coventry Warwickshire, and am a design engineer. 

A full paying member to this site once i have the funds (that aren't spent on the  car currently!!)

I recently purchased a 1967 triumph 1300FWD built in Coventry my home town. My dad owned a Toledo in sky blue and I always wanted a classic car to tinker with and enjoy with my background and hands on approach. 

Car is currently undergoing some welding, and since purchase have seen the car for not very long. 

But with out further a do pic below. Soon to be home tidied up and drive .

I hope to be able to post updates and learn and view others members cars and offer advice/help if and when I can. 

Thanks

IMG-20210916-WA0000.jpg

• Like 5

That looks like Dolphin Grey?  Just like my first car which got hammered backwards and forwards to College every day in the 1970's also with no mechanical sympathy at all. But I was only 17 or 18. It got through rubber doughnut couplings and CV joints (pot joints?) like they were going out of fashion, but never really let me down. Great little car.

• Like 1

On 26/10/2021 at 08:15, RobPearce said:

Welcome to the forum, Dave.

That looks a very tidy example. I look forward to reading of your travels and adventures with it.

Cheers, apparently gets comments all the time at the garage.

My garage said it was in very good nick considering. 

It has had the welding done now, waiting for the wishbone bushes to be changed and then they are undersaaling it for free for me. Seeing as they have had the car for about 5 weeks !! Good job I have known them for ten + odd years and we get on. 

Paint is ok, will need a respray to be honest. 

It's a bit matte in places and has been rattle canned badly in a couple of others. 

But I am looking forward to getting to grips with the car and sorting it out. 

It's for me not to be sold so it will be good to get it prepped for winter and protected. 

20 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

Hello Dave, welcome to the club. I own a 1967 1300fwd and am a design engineer as well, coincidentally. The car has given me some serious grief over the last 5 years, although nothing serious in the last 6 months (which I realise isn't very long).

Pete

Hi Pete, 

Ah great stuff, although what sort of issues have you been gifted? 

23 hours ago, sparky_spit said:

That looks like Dolphin Grey?  Just like my first car which got hammered backwards and forwards to College every day in the 1970's also with no mechanical sympathy at all. But I was only 17 or 18. It got through rubber doughnut couplings and CV joints (pot joints?) like they were going out of fashion, but never really let me down. Great little car.

Its a blue with blue interior. 

Can't remember the exact colours. Someone did mention I think shadow blue?? Guessing there. 

On 27/10/2021 at 20:56, Howard said:

You could get more done and have more time driving if you spent less time blogging😂😂😂😜

I always combine that with other jobs (like not watching television etc.).

Also the cars are currently in the shed out of necessity.
So even a battery swap is a 1 hour job these days. 
And that doesn't help progress or motivation 🥴

On 27/10/2021 at 09:43, Dave bunney said:

Hi Pete, 

Ah great stuff, although what sort of issues have you been gifted? 

Some self-inflicted but not all:

- long tortuous engine rebuild to cure massive oil consumption, during which I found the front crankshaft keyway was shagged (common issue on earlier cars) so had to have crank machined to later style taper

- chronic fuel vaporization which stranded me in awkward places, eventually fixed with electric pump after trying several other fixes

- exhaust valve broke and holed piston, after about 1000 miles on rebuilt engine... 😞

- rotten exhaust tailpipe fell to pieces

- clutch plate snapped in two, not once but twice (some idiot forgot to put the spigot bush in the crank when rebuilding the engine)

- gearbox damage following last clutch failure, requiring bloody awkward part rebuild with new synchro and thrust bearing

Currently bleeding the brakes for the millionth time to try and solve persistent spongey pedal... 

But I do like it. Need to rebuild the original engine really, which has got the TC profile camshaft in it and is a bit more lively, but can't muster the enthusiasm!

• 1 month later...

Evening all. Finally got the car home today. Short drive from garage as my maiden voyage. 

Interesting and quirky to drive. 

Looking forward to more adventures. 

Photos attached are non washed or polished. 

I gave the front end a good polish and will wax the car tomorrow so hopefully getting the depth of the blue out for all to see. 

DSC_2754.JPG

DSC_2751.JPG

DSC_2752.JPG

• Like 2

On 26/10/2021 at 09:56, sparky_spit said:

I reckon that it will polish up to "Gunmetal", lol 🙂

Valencia is definitely a paint colour, not a trim colour.  If the chassis plate with commission number is still riveted onto the inner wing under the bonnet, it should state the paint and trim codes.  

Gunmetal is 18, Valencia is 66 and shadow blue trim is 27 🙂

Nice looking car. Polished up well. Gunmetal cars do seem to last better (lots of lead in the paint?). Not seen one with a vinyl roof before - aftermarket presumably?

They are nice. But quirky. There are a lot of oddities stemming from that FWD power train.  Worst being the desperately low gearing. I always wanted to power-train swap mine for something more modern, but the engine bay shape was (and is) really unhelpful. This was back in ‘89 ish and the main contender was the lump from a Charade GTTi - they just cost way too much.  Probably more options about today.

They are fine for local pottering about, not so much on the open road.

Nick