Carbon Offset . Personal choice.

Darren Sharp

As we look forward to the new season with our classic cars . I am personally aware that the Green lobby have a big voice these days and some members of the public are very vocal in condemning the continued use of our cars . The impact of the Carbon emissions of entire Classic car movement in the UK is actually very small in comparison with the total.  I have heard that we contribute less than 1% . We do however not have to pay Vehicle Excise Duty or have our vehicles inspected in an MOT once a year ( although I voted against that change) I have been waiting for a plausible Carbon Offset scheme to come along and Chris Shaw has been doing a ton of research on this subject . The Federation of British Historic Vehicles have launched such a scheme and After talking to Chris I have decided to sign up . The scheme’s top Mileage allowance is currently 3000 per annum which is about right for me at the moment. Chris is asking about whether the scheme will be providing a higher mileage bracket and he is reporting to the Club Committee. I am taking up this scheme because I do not want the UK legislature to go the way of some European nations which are knee jerking and severely restricting Classic car usage. I will have a bumper sticker to show you all when it arrives . The cost for 3000 Miles in 2022 was £48.76

website address shown below . 

C8E2CFAC-3511-4869-B1D3-96A2C9AF7664.thumb.png.86d0314cf6a1db9f02a09883ed0e3079.png

I've always wondered how paying money helps with pollution. Where does the money go and what it is used for. 

We are paying 20% on our energy bills to subsidise companies to produce green energy. 

I do wonder where all this money is really going. 

Danny

43 minutes ago, Dannyb said:

I've always wondered how paying money helps with pollution. Where does the money go and what it is used for. 

We are paying 20% on our energy bills to subsidise companies to produce green energy. 

I do wonder where all this money is really going. 

Danny

With this scheme trees get planted, that use and store the CO2. 

Other schemes use money to invest in things that produce much lower or zero carbon emissions. ie improving home insulation 

Plenty of things happening, all good. 

Meanwhile, it is also important to "market" our hobby as being environmentally responsible if we are to avoid the ire of much of the population. Running around with sticker saying my car is carbon neutral is very disarming to critics. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dannyb said:

As like some large charities, administration costs are taken out and very little goes to the front line. 

That's a discredited and disingenuous claim by a sensationalist newspaper. While everyone has admin costs, and many charities have little choice but to pay them out of incoming donations, very few "large" charities lose more than a couple of percent that way.

Thank you everyone , I am aware of many of the concerns, V Tree are actually a subsidiary of the Morris Minor Owners Club their admin costs are as low as they can be and they are working with the Federation of which CT is a member . Wayne Scott is something to do with it through his job at the FBHVC and of course Wayne is an RBRR stalwart . I've made Tim Bancroft aware of the scheme and he was also very interested.  I know that the jury is out and many people believe that our cars have paid their dues over the years and are in some cases, preventing the need to make more new cars, (Where most of the Carbon production associated with any vehicle is released). That is why this post is entitled, 'personal choice' . The Club is considering levying a charge on some of its driving events and announcements are pending but they will all be on a voluntary basis with exemptions under certain circumstances .  

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, ferny said:

Why would I subsidise yet another thing the government are failing to address. 

I know how you feel. I try and do my bit but when I see the lack of effort at gouvernement/country level I sometimes lose heart. The winter Olympics are a good example, 100% artificial snow on sites that have been specifically landscaped for them.

I agree that every little helps BUT . . .

• Like 1

Likewise signed up to V Tree for the TR7 V8. And it is fair to say that Governments are not doing enough (save perhaps Norway with its rollout of infrastructure for EV charging etc - using sovereign fund money that actually came from North Sea Oil revenues!) but what seems to be overlooked is that we are all going to have change the way we do things. Like so many things a few can do a lot and make little impact, but if we all did a little, then we can change a lot.  Tree V may not be perfect but it is a whole lot better than doing nothing at all. 

• Like 2

On 04/02/2022 at 09:44, Dannyb said:

I'm all in agreement with that, it's just the cynic in me that wonders how much of the money is actually passed on. As like some large charities, administration costs are taken out and very little goes to the front line. 

Danny

Thing is, its never as simple as it seems. If we assume all the money does go into planting trees, and, frankly, dont believe a word of it, thats just being considered in isolation.

Right now thousands of acres of welsh farmland is being sucked up by corporates so they can tick the box, say they are green, offset their emmosions. Thousands of acres of farmland being lost from food production, and fundamentally changing their local economy and way of life. Some serious unhappiness there.

By doing this, we are adding to that problem.

Edited by Roger Keys
  • Like 1

I've paid my subscription and got my sticker, but it would be reassuring to know just where is this "brand new woodland right here in the UK", as the postcard with the stickers says.  It also says to see the Club Magazine for updates.     Can yu be a personal member of the FBHVC and get a magazine?    It's a Federation of Clubs, so do they mean Club Torque?     

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JohnD said:

I've paid my subscription and got my sticker, but it would be reassuring to know just where is this "brand new woodland right here in the UK", as the postcard with the stickers says.  It also says to see the Club Magazine for updates.     Can yu be a personal member of the FBHVC and get a magazine?    It's a Federation of Clubs, so do they mean Club Torque?     

It appears you can get individual membership

https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/how-to-join

But I suspect the reference to Club Magazine is indeed the CT magazine. We have been working on this idea for some time, and the FBHVC seemed to have been slightly ahead of us on getting their scheme launched. So daft not to piggy-back off their scheme.

• Like 1

So if I pay for trees to be planted, can I go and chop them down in a few years time when I need some more firewood as the price of oil will have gone through the roof?

I have paid for them after all, so they must be mine. Though we would need to be told where they are.

Just a thought.

I might just plant some trees in my own garden instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thescrapman said:

So if I pay for trees to be planted, can I go and chop them down in a few years time when I need some more firewood as the price of oil will have gone through the roof?

I have paid for them after all, so they must be mine. Though we would need to be told where they are.

Just a thought.

Why not set up your own carbon offset  organisation 

then they pay for your trees 😁

12 hours ago, thescrapman said:

Just a thought.

Can you can wait 30 years for your firewood though?