Electronic ignition??

spittymk3

Hey...well all my questions have been answered very well...so heres another one for you guys...electronic ignition...anyone know of a good reliable brand that works well but doesn't break the bank? Simple to fit? Its to go on my mk3 gt6....any help will be awesome, if anyone is fairly local to hastings im happy to pay someone to help fit it to get the best out of it? Many thanks.... :)

Heard some good things about Accuspark if you are looking for the more "Budget" option, Depends what you're willing to spend i guess.

Looks simple enough to install, video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lcx_Qr0KyM

I have the 123Tune system on my GT6 MK3 and am very happy with it, totally fit and forget so far! But i reckon that would come under the "break the bank" category as it's a few hundred pounds plus converting your tach to electric if you want to retain that.

I've been running electronic ignition from SimonBBC for over 6 months, but now with the new dizzy i'm still on points (need to change it again).

The kit was very easy to install & works very well and i use the car as my daily driver..
I've done more then 6000 miles with the kit and it didn't miss a beat  ;)

The kit from SimonBBC is just the same (and even the price is the same) as the accuspark ones.
I've even found one for even half price for a Land Rover that fits for my spitfire, so bought that as spare  :)

And the things is also, when it fails, you can just put the points back in  ;)

I've got the AccuSpark on my GT6, cheap and simple to install and does give an improvement. Had it on for 3 years now without a problem. Only thing I had to do was replace the ballast resistor and 6V/12V coil with a 12V Lucas coil. Not sure why I had to do this (3 years is too long to remember specifics with my drink addled brain!) all I know is that it didn't work with the original setup but did with the latter!  ;)

2396 wrote:
I've got the AccuSpark on my GT6, cheap and simple to install and does give an improvement. Had it on for 3 years now without a problem. Only thing I had to do was replace the ballast resistor and 6V/12V coil with a 12V Lucas coil. Not sure why I had to do this (3 years is too long to remember specifics with my drink addled brain!) all I know is that it didn't work with the original setup but did with the latter!  ;)

That's because the voltage at a ballast ignition system only get's 6V at the coil and as the ignition black box thingy needs /works on 12v ...   ;)

piman wrote:
Hello Wim,

"I've even found one for even half price for a Land Rover that fits for my spitfire, so bought that as spare"

It will fit and run but the advance curve will be wrong for your Triumph.

Alec

How will that affect the advance curve? It's just an optical pick-up that replaces points, condenser and rotor arm - the distrubutor bob weights and vac advance remain the same.

MikeyB wrote:
just back form sunny Greece, bloody chilly here - think hibernation will be a good option!

Chilly?......for some , this is Polynesian weather..........for those who cannot afford to venture abroad!

For those who read, and wish to join our happy band.....this is the banter we get up to .....over and above the help and assistance you get when you join CT
You may even get people coming out to see you when you have problems ;)

piman wrote:
Hello Wim,

"I've even found one for even half price for a Land Rover that fits for my spitfire, so bought that as spare"

It will fit and run but the advance curve will be wrong for your Triumph.

Alec

It's just the a kit that replaces the points & co.
For the 45D4 they are all the same..

Lotus, triumph, LR, mini, mg .......

http://www.simonbbc.com/electronic-ignition-kits/positive-earth-ignition/positive-earth-45d-electronic-ignition-kit-with-red-rotor-lotus-triumph-land-rover-mini