OK....Carpet time

stevegt6

Well, it's time to make the interior look a little more plush - currently installed are door cards and couple of foot-well mats 🤔

I'm quite happy now everything has bedded in etc... so time to be comfy 🙂

GT6 mk3 (Non-roto)
I've looked into carpets previously, and the price range is vast.... from circa £80 to £400+ from NC

Obvious question: Is the NC molded set worth the dosh..?

I think molded set is preferred, as should give the better end result in fit etc...

I will be putting some 'under-felt' or something to help with reducing cockpit noise, but likely to be not more than 3mm thick...

Does fitting 'underlay' cause any issues with molded carpets...?

What carpet sets have you guys put in yours..?

Then there is the colour issue - NC only do a handful of 'original' colours...... Arrghh...Maybe I'll stick with door-cards and mats LOL

Any info greatly appreciated.
Cheers

I'm in a similar position (mk3 non roto) I still have most of the original Chestnut colour carpet but some of it badly faded and the rear luggage carpet almost transparently thin. I've been looking around for some time and got a few carpet samples.

The benefit of the fitted carpet is ease of installation I don't know how you would make, the loose carpet fit on the wheel arches which curve in two planes.

However, I've been uniformly disappointed with the carpet quality of the fitted offerings. Although I know many people are pleased with them they don't come near the quality of the original. Also there are very limited colours, I want Chestnut!

On the other hand I've got some very good quality loose carpet samples from Coverdale and in the right colour! More expensive of course.

I'm now thinking my current wheel arch carpet, although faded, is in reasonable condition so maybe I could dye it. Then replace the rest with the Coverdale carpet. Also as I'm making the loose carpet fit I imagine the underlay is not going to be a problem as it may well be with fitted carpet..

I had chestnut originally.....think it was one of the first things to go when i started the strip of the GT - not all was original though, seem to recall the arches being erm...awful lol

I will speak to the guy who is going to re-do my seats (still not got them done.....3 yrs after first speaking to him lol)

I too want good quality if I'm gonna do it - don't want it wearing through after a year

Going to get couple (more) of samples from NC - seem to have mis-placed previous ones and cannot remember what they were like...

I'm erring toward molded at the moment...

Probably going to use the dense self-adhesive bitumen foil faced stuff as an underlay - it may add about half a kilo, but can live with that 🙂 Think it will deaden sound and vibration better than foam or felt....and its only about 2mm thick so shouldn't give issue with molded carpets.

Current thinking anyway.

Anyone fitted Red carpet in a white car..... If so, post pic please 🙂 Cheers

Nerwton Commercial supply the moulded carpet sets to the other traders, however Newton are normally the most expemsve place to buy them (exceptining Reamers of course!)!

Moulded sets are good but buy the Newton one from elsewhere and save money. I got mine from James Paddocks a few years back.

You'll need to buy the carpet set and the load carpet for the GT6 as they are sold seperatly to allow all the MK versions to be covered as the load carpets are different.

• 1 month later...

Well, just ordered moulded set from NC - This was after trial fitting a non-moulded set and was not happy with the way it was fitting (the quality was good...edgings, stitchng etc..)

I bought some moulded footwell mats from NC about year ago and they fit like a glove with mouldings for every bit.

Not gone for red - had a bit of a change of thought on that...

Quoted from DougBGT6
However, I've been uniformly disappointed with the carpet quality of the fitted offerings. Although I know many people are pleased with them they don't come near the quality of the original.

+1, they are a thin (almost nonexistent) pile and are more or less like the floor covering on our 2008 Fiesta. The samples I've got look more like kitchen scouring pads than carpet.

It's a tough choice between unoriginal looking carpet with a good fit, versus luxurious carpet with varying degrees of an imperfect fit.

I will update when NC set arrives.

I did get couple of (small) samples a year or two back - Didn't seem that 'thin', but not as thick as the non-moulded.

I suspect there is a limit on the thickness the machines can 'mould' - I don't know what the carpets they provide for other Marques are like (moulded or not..

I don't really buy that argument - if Newton Commercial acquired the original tooling then they should be able to mould carpet of the same pile quality that Triumph used to. Perhaps that type of carpet takes more initiative to source nowadays or costs more but what's the point in selling a product that fixes one problem by causing another? I suspect it's more due to rationalisation or finding cheap sources of modern mouldable carpet than genuinely not being able to create/obtain mouldable carpet with a quality pile.

When I built my Vitesse I splashed out and bought a set of Newton carpets. 13 years (give or take) of everyday use and they were still looking very good, fit was immaculate and the appearance sacrifice seems rather small. I really dislike seeing carpets that are a poor fit, and none of the stitched ones can hold a candle to the moulded sets.
Besides, most of us try to spend too much crawling around on the carpet, mostly we want it to stay in place and look decent. But it would be better is they could improve the material....

• 1 month later...

Carpet arrived from NC day or two back... Here are my comments thus far after inspection and some loose trial fitting...

As has been said, and expected, the thickness is nowhere near that of non-moulded - I would liken its thickness/pile to that which is factory fitted in my Alfa Romeo.... It feels very similar and similar thickness. Time will tell on how well it will wear.

Finish and fit of panels appears good - some trimming will be required (it states that in the destructions)

Is it worth paying more than double..? Don't know, as really I would need to fit both to find out....and that would involve buying one twice, which ever came out on top...

Waiting on Dynamat delivery before fitting can begin.

Will post update and some pics...

Cheers

Quoted from GT6 Jonesy
Fitted a cheap set 3 years ago, fit is ok and wear hasn't been an issue, couldn't justify buying an expensive set. Glad I didn't as I managed to get grease on them when I converted the car to overdrive  .

We use buffer sole to remove grease off carpets