Great to see the control stops in the latest Club Torque

Andy,

Do you have times for the durations for the stops?

Arrival times as far as Falls of Shin are earlier than 2021 with the curious exception of John O'Groats, presumably to avoid gridlock at the pumps at Skiach.

Beyond that, all of the arrival times are later as far as Badgers Holt with the finish control 13 minutes earlier.

That might be a tall order given that the M25 is unlikely to be as deserted as last time due to sheeple panic buying fuel.

Jim.

Edited by McJim

17 minutes ago, richard w said:

John O'Groats was slower than usual last time because of social distancing.

Don't think so.

It was 2 hours in 2018.

Gives folk who have had trouble heading north the ability to catch up with the event, as I did in 2018.

Jim.

Edited by McJim

Tim called me and asked me to remove the table from a post I'd put up on facebook to drum up support. Basically after the rogue scotch pie control in Scotland on a previous run the organisers don't want the timetable and controls to be widely published outside CT. So I've taken the table down from facebook but will share with my sponsors. So Please don't share the table on social media, thanks....

1 hour ago, McJim said:

Andy,

Do you have times for the durations for the stops?

Arrival times as far as Falls of Shin are earlier than 2021 with the curious exception of John O'Groats, presumably to avoid gridlock at the pumps at Skiach.

Beyond that, all of the arrival times are later as far as Badgers Holt with the finish control 13 minutes earlier.

That might be a tall order given that the M25 is unlikely to be as deserted as last time due to sheeple panic buying fuel.

Jim.

You can see the open and close time on the table for each stop, so that gives you the durations. The controls seem to be open longer this time rather than the normal one hour (expcept at breakfast stops which were always open longer)

Andy,

The time shown is how long the control will be open but marshals usually hang around for longer for stragglers who may be experiencing difficulties.

The stop times for Wetherby, for example, is probably 30 minutes.

By using that, I have a spreadsheet that calculates the minimum average speed required to stay on schedule, although no one hangs around the control for the, say, 30 minutes at Wetherby, therefore the average speed required is acually lower and keeping up with the event becomes easier.

As Martin Randle once said, "No fannying around!"

A minute wasted fannying around in the control is a mile lost.

While you're all self congratulory at reaching the first control (well done you!) everyone else is halfway to Scotch Corner, so now you have to play catch-up and if anything serious happens with your car, you're basically stuffed.

Personally, I think the last section from Popham to the finish is a bit tight, depending on the length of the stop at Popham.

A 20 minute stop there would require you to average 60mph up the M3, M25 and A1(M), which at that time of the day is unlikely to be easily done.

Still, as Tim says, "Patience" and all will be revealed.

Looking forward to this.

Jim.

Edited by McJim

41 minutes ago, McJim said:

Don't think so.

It was 2 hours in 2018.

Gives folk who have had trouble heading north the ability to catch up with the event, as I did in 2018.

Jim.

Sorry Jim, I just meant that we were queuing longer to get into the Seaview in 2021, I haven't compared the official timings.

No worries Richard.

Just being a sad person sitting on my laptop, working on my spreadsheet.

Really anal, I know, but I like to know on the event how we're doing, how long we can stop for.

It helps with other things too.

Katy and I plan on stopping beside Loch Naver for some shots of the cars for our Scotch Pie Hunter YouTube channel.

We've already picked our spot and now can work out how long we can stay there before we have to get the finger out and get down to the Falls of Shin.

Hopefully we'll get enough footage to make something decent, although all of those we were going to collaborate with have decided not to enter this year or have had to withdraw.

So, expect a lot of cobra stripes.

That'll please Mr Bancroft.

Jim.

One thing that surprised me when I first did the event is the pace of it.

The control stops have a great atmosphere and it is good to chat and soak it all up. 

However, if you spend too long at the stops, which I did on my first event, you will find yourself towards the back of the field quite quickly. That isn’t a problem, as this isn’t a race, but it’s not ideal if you have a problem with your car and you need time to fix it before the next control stop closes.

Although I wouldn’t stress if you do have a problem and you are late, as a lot of control stops stay open a little bit longer than stated.  If they do close one can always take a photo of  the car at the stop as we did one year.  Important thing is to let the organisers know if you are going to miss a control stop opening time due to an incident.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rubce said:

No Carter Bar control this time.

Shame but I suppose it’s a bit cold to have a Marshall standing there in the middle of the night for an hour or so. 

Mc Jim did it one year and received a few bottles of Lambrini from entrants for his efforts. 

• Like 1

Still not finished them yet either.

Prefer scotch pies to Lambrini these days.

Carter Bar is an amazing place to marshal.

I did it the first year after negotiating with Transport Scotland, Amey, Highways England and Northumberland Council for permission to use the lay-by on behalf of Tim and Nigel.

You can't rock up and set up a control, it can take weeks or even months.

We were lucky to have a dry night with crystal clear skies affording us a dark skies view of the Milky Way.

The nearest town is Jedburgh, 11 miles away.

It really is a remote location but, on the night we were there, I loved it.

The peace and quiet and the solitude before all these noisy, old cars appeared and the Lambrini arrived.

Jim.

IMG00120-20121006-1147 60%.jpg

Edited by McJim
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 16/09/2023 at 13:24, McJim said:

Carter Bar is an amazing place to marshal.

We have just returned from a road trip from Dorset to Northumberland, via the Peak District, The Dales and the Lakes.

We couldn't resist the temptation to visit Carter Bar in the daylight, as although I had passed through on both the 2016 and 2018 RBRRs, I was keen to actually see it. Awesome views and amazing history.

Very appreciative of the marshals who have manned this control. It was a good-un:- drive in, pass the road book out through the window and on into the night......

I'll be thinking of you all this time.

Ian 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Living about 40 minutes south of Carter Bar and use the A68 on most of my trips to Scotlandshire when working there. I'm guilty of I guess just taking that view for granted. Same as the rest of the A68, it's in on my doorstep, awesome road but watch the blind crests..........and tight corner at Swinburne quarry 

For those who have only ever done that route in the dark in the RBRR you should try and return and to it in the daylight 

• Like 1