RBRR 2023: Challenging but Brilliant

Team 58 and Team 106 completed another RBRR.

Great fun, never stopped smiling even in the rain.

Our thanks to all those involved in putting on this great event, its very much appreciated by all the crews.

Look forward to the 2025 event, when I think I will take an umbrella.

Happy Motoring.

Finished.jpg

• Like 4

A big thank you also from car 137 - we were newbies to the event but the support from Tim was brilliant from the start. The event was superb and the car ran faultlessy (except for a weld on the bonnet hinge breaking about 20miles from the start but tank tape sorted that at Wetherby). Didn't even lift the bonnet because of the tank tape. Thank you to all the organising team and all the marshals at the controls, you all did a fantastic job. Can't wait until 2025.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chris62 said:

Team 58 and Team 106 completed another RBRR.

Great fun, never stopped smiling even in the rain.

Our thanks to all those involved in putting on this great event, its very much appreciated by all the crews.

Look forward to the 2025 event, when I think I will take an umbrella.

Happy Motoring.

Finished.jpg

I would second that! Brilliantly organised and run by Tim, Nigel, Jason & co.

And don’t forget a Sou’wester next time!

• Haha 1

Weirdly this was amongst my favourite round Britain. 
My car behaved almost faultlessly all weekend and only leaked when tracking through standing water. It was coming through the transmission tunnel …. Wet feet was the order of Friday night/Saturday am. 
Lost front lights when a fuse holder failed but quickly sorted. Got a bit left behind at bude but only due to helping another entrant and that’s all part of it. It’s also part of why I enjoyed it so much, we chatted and laughed whilst doing it….. 

What a club and what a great group of people!! 

IMG_9622.jpeg

• Like 6

RBRR fully delivered this year.  Hugely challenging in places, but that's partly what it's all about.   

Can't thank the organising team and all the volunteering marshals enough. The event ran so smoothly from our perspective. 

Thanks also to Darren, Andy Cooke and 'DAH' for offering assistance for what appeared to be a failing wheel bearing at Monmouth.  (I nursed it home and will be looked at along with some other strange noises in the coming weeks). 

Team 38 - one of the 'GT6 boys' racing off to get some more sleep tonight.

• Like 5

Fantastic RBRR without a doubt. This is an event where you will hear noises from your car that you would never have heard before and probably wont hear again once you get home. (bearings running for 48 hours non stop can really play havoc on your mind, especially when you're tired! 🙂)

Many thanks to the organisers, marshalls, co-entrants and even the people (including photographers) who stepped out to support us on our travels. 

Already looking to the 2025 event, especially now I have 'unfinished business' from this one. 

See you at the start. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Team 30 GEORGE THE HERALD

Probably the slowest car in the field but I did give it bean's through Wales  and by careful time management in the later stages still managed to be 5th car back 

Despite the weather this was once again an amazing event

Massive thanks to the organisers and marshals who get thus boat to float

Master light switch gave up sending voltage to instrunet lights ,google sat nav became my speedo

Minor issues were a thermostat that stuck open somewhere bear Corbridge meaning no heat to screen so we were continually wiping away until john of groats when it was a less wet, but still raining and so an opportunity to change it( I was initially worried we had lost coolant, but thr car was running find until later miles when a small amount of choke was required, due to tge external water cooling going on by nature)

A condenser started to fail and was swapped out at falls of shin

Many thanks Julian and Ben 20231010_073252.thumb.jpg.7e0f20b047dd806ae5d298abdc5a2d90.jpg

George and Zippy knackered 

IMG_20231006_174641_658.jpg

IMG_20231006_072719_852.jpg

20231007_084214.jpg

IMG-20231007-WA0002.jpeg

20231008_073454.jpg

20231008_074501.jpg

20231008_081151.jpg

20231008_182926.jpg

20231010_073301.jpg

• Like 3

A big thank you to all of the RBRR Team for putting on a very well organised event.  I thought leaving out Carter Barr made the dash to the North flow better and that all the marshals at the control points adopting the same procedure also greatly improved the smoothness of the running. Well done all involved.

Using wipers continuously for  about 19 hours is the longest period of rain driving I think I can remember undertaking anywhere in the world. Fortunately maintaining the wiper, lighting and demisting systems are my first priority before the event, so they worked well throughout. The Acclaim's FWD worked well through the standing water, so Scotland was not too much of a problem and running faultlessly throughout made this the best RBRR I have been able complete.

Well done RBRR Team, thank you very much.

• Like 5

No 120 we managed to finish despite having two tyre blowouts in the middle of nowhere used the spare but had to call out tyre service for second one nearest open tyre service Inverness 1 hour 45 minutes away two budget tyres plus fitting £480 lost a lot of time called into Gulf garage at skin falls for fuel then fetched the exhaust off exiting station refitted it but it was then a problem throughout the rest of the game refitting it four or five times missed three controllers but arrived at Knebworth on time first time we have entered this event but it was brilliant congratulations to everyone who finished and well done to the organisers 

• Like 4

Team 8 "aka the flying banana" signing in. Again a wholehearted thank you to all the team that delivered such a stunning event. This was my 5th and my co-driver's third.  Car ran beautifully,  really enjoyed the new 3.9l V8 up front. Only issue was a steadily failing battery making restarts like those in apollo 13 (all circuits off).  Missed our midnight rendezvous at Carter bar dogging spot, but was it me or were there a few "entisiasts" in the lay by? Will probably be doing it all again in 2025.  Thanks again and banana signing off 

Tim

20231008_183544.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Radders said:

Fantastic RBRR without a doubt. This is an event where you will hear noises from your car that you would never have heard before and probably wont hear again once you get home. (bearings running for 48 hours non stop can really play havoc on your mind, especially when you're tired! 🙂)

Many thanks to the organisers, marshalls, co-entrants and even the people (including photographers) who stepped out to support us on our travels. 

Already looking to the 2025 event, especially now I have 'unfinished business' from this one. 

See you at the start. 🙂

I was honestly gutted you guys didn’t make it Steve. So near and yet to far to push it…. 

Have you investigated yet? 

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I was honestly gutted you guys didn’t make it Steve. So near and yet to far to push it…. 

Have you investigated yet? 

Thanks Alex, I was gutted as well mate. We had a beer & curry night lined up after the event with my team mates which obviously never happened, plus I still got the bill from the hotel as well even though I never got there. Seven RBRR's now and this is my first DNF. ☹️

Regarding the breakdown, I did have cavitating pump issues at Popham Airfield which resulted in the car refusing to start, but once we had got more air to the Lucas pump it started no problem. 

However, it just completely died on the M25 without warning. I couldn't hear what the pump was doing as it was too noisy.

Further investigations at present have revealed the issue to be with the 123 distributor. A test on Monday morning showed that it was providing a very erratic, intermittent, and weak spark all at different times and to different plugs. (sometimes no spark at all on certain cylinders) 

I know the 123 is supposed to be bullet proof, but I fitted this in 2013 and you know much mileage I would have done in the past 10 years. (RBRR's, 10CRS, C2C's, HCR's, Mops tours, etc)  

I've currently got my spare 45D dizzy with points and condensor fitted and the car is running fine, so this will do until I consider my options. 

• Like 1

Hi Steve,  Darren had problems with his 123 dizzy,  Dale Barker finally got to the bottom of it,  there is a tiny resistor fitted in the rotor arm on the 123 and  these can break down causing poor spark and erratic ignition timing.  Sounds pretty much the same,  Olaf ran like a pig,  new rotor arm sorted 👍  

15 hours ago, Colin Cutts said:

No 120 we managed to finish despite having two tyre blowouts in the middle of nowhere used the spare but had to call out tyre service for second one nearest open tyre service Inverness 1 hour 45 minutes away two budget tyres plus fitting £480 lost a lot of time called into Gulf garage at skin falls for fuel then fetched the exhaust off exiting station refitted it but it was then a problem throughout the rest of the game refitting it four or five times missed three controllers but arrived at Knebworth on time first time we have entered this event but it was brilliant congratulations to everyone who finished and well done to the organisers 

That garage exit did for my exhaust too.  Thankfully, not too badly, but it's on the jobs list to fix now. 

No 120 I  am hoping Tim B reads this he kindly lent me his scissor jack winding handle how do I get it back to you I am local to Newark it has been suggested I could take it over to the Nottingham meet and give it to Dave Langridge or send me your address and I will post it Many thanks 

7 hours ago, Wendy Dawes said:

Hi Steve,  Darren had problems with his 123 dizzy,  Dale Barker finally got to the bottom of it,  there is a tiny resistor fitted in the rotor arm on the 123 and  these can break down causing poor spark and erratic ignition timing.  Sounds pretty much the same,  Olaf ran like a pig,  new rotor arm sorted 👍  

Thanks Wendy, worth remembering 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wendy Dawes said:

Many thanks Wendy, 

I have a new rotor arm, so I shall be trying that. Colin Wake was here this morning and measured the resistance on my current one and a brand new one and there is definitely a difference, so that could be the problem.  

• Like 1

Good luck Steve with that rotor arm change. First tme I have heard of 123 issues.

Looking through past RBRR records, I think three essential large spares are a spare dizzy all ready to be plugged in, a spare water pump and gasket and a spare alternator. These three items have been the major causes of RBRR retirements.

This is stated within the 'RBRR Advice Notes' that we issue.

We have decided that these notes need a revamp, Andy P and Dave L will redo them, maybe a youtube video etc . 

Colin,

Please give the jack handle to Dave Langrick, that would be appreciated. Blimey, you had some bad luck.