Anybody need a roof repair panel for GT6?

John Bonnett

796 wrote:
Just how on earth you going to make a full roof John.
very very balledikussed i is.

maybe a bit like this bloke., But ye need an Elephant, or a BIGGG Lass,   :) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=A9AvhDm7rI8

M

When I used to do CAD drawing, I'd look at a component and think, how can I draw that. Now, I look at something and think, how can I make it.

The trick is to break it down into several parts. With metal, you can either stretch it which is relatively easy or you can shrink it and that is more difficult. The roof I'd divide into four main parts. the full width front ten inches or so. The two sides that go down to the gutter and the centre bulbous section. The latter is probably the easiest bit to make using an English wheel. It has a fairly gentle double curvature. The front piece I'd use a Hammerform and the sides will need quite a bit of shrinking. When all the bits are shaped they are gas welded together and planished so that the joins are invisible.

So, how do you start? Well I was going to use the scrap GT6 as a pattern but now it is restored and nicely painted unfortunately that's not an option any more. So, I'll have to make a station buck using 12mm ply unless I can find an old roof from somewhere.

Just to give you an idea of what I mean, here are a few pictures of my Special that I made rather longer ago than I care to remember. Apologies that this is Peugeot 205GTI based and not Triumph.

good lord John, that amazing wurk for a Shed job.

have you got one of those bigggg English wheels, cos they dont arf take up alot of room
One in a engineering shop I no, and its about 6 foot across.

What about taking a mould of a GT roof.!!!
you got a GT , so its half the battle bone,!!!!!!

looking forad to this one. front row seat please.

M

796 wrote:

have you got one of those bigggg English wheels, cos they dont arf take up alot of room
One in a engineering shop I no, and its about 6 foot across.

One of the local Bombardier factories near me dumped one of those a while back.
I inquired with a friend who worked in their Belfast plant about it and was told it was completly tied up in red tape and disposal contractor had to destroy everything they removed.

Wow,
I bow down to you sir.

I love to see this kind of work, when I see the program's on tv where they make the body, using the English wheel, I'm always amazed.
It is something I would love to be able to do.

Thank you
I will take second seat closely behind Marcus.
Cheers
Shaun

I am in such awe of your workmanship, John, that I scarcely dare to mention fibre-glass.
The advantage of which is that you can take a mould off a perfect, or even an imperfect panel as long as you can bodge-up a good surface, and take a good copy from the mould.
I did this to make a roof (and doors and a hatchback) for Silverback.  Here's a pic of the roof having the 'fences' added that enabled a seven part mould, the complete mould and the roof that I cast from it.  Light isn't it?

John

That's great work John; I take my hat off to you. Fibreglass does have many advantages, particularly its ease of repair and of course resistance to corrosion.

It is very satisfying to have made something from scratch from whatever material you decide to use. It's what  special building is all about.

John

Gt6s wrote:

One of the local Bombardier factories near me dumped one of those a while back.
I inquired with a friend who worked in their Belfast plant about it and was told it was completly tied up in red tape and disposal contractor had to destroy everything they removed.

Where I work that means they place it gently in a skip and mark it disposed of, you then remove it again and spirit it away. Know anyone who wants an armoured Landrover?  ;D

3141 wrote:
I shall be gearing up to make a GT6 roof in aluminium and there is no reason why I couldn't make one or two roof repair panels in 20 gauge (1mm) steel.

If anybody is interested, please let me know.

I would be interested if it ever came to fruition as I'm part way through my restoration, I have repaired the roof but need to leave my options open in case my repair is not good enough.

4187 wrote:

I would be interested if it ever came to fruition as I'm part way through my restoration, I have repaired the roof but need to leave my options open in case my repair is not good enough.

I think you are doing an incredible job on your rebuild and the whole thread is an inspirational read; absolutely amazing and I take my hat off to you. The car is going to be fantastic and an absolute credit to your skill and craftsmanship.

As far as the roof panel is concerned, I'm quite sure your repair will be more than adequate. However I will send you a PM when I get to work on the roof. This may not be within your time scale because I've got the frame for the body to build first and like all things it is bound to take a lot longer than I'm expecting and you may be at the painting stage by then. I will keep in touch.