Kev W

Hi all, I've got a MK3 roto GT6 and I'm having the diff reconditioned but to keep the car on the road I've got a replacement diff. Thing is, the one on the car has 6 stud mountings and the spare I've got is a 4 stud probably off a swing spring (same ratios). Is it a case of fitting the 4 stud and leaving 2 studs off or is that not an option?

Cheers for any help!

Kev

It's certainly possible to fit a four stud diff just by leaving two studs out. I did it on a Herald estate (1500 engine so we fitted a 1500 Spitfire diff) and I think my Vitesse is also that way.

I need to replace the diff on my GT6 too, but I need to get hold of a 3.63 (or 3.27) one first. It's currently a 4.11 off a 13/60...

9716 wrote:
It's certainly possible to fit a four stud diff just by leaving two studs out. I did it on a Herald estate (1500 engine so we fitted a 1500 Spitfire diff) and I think my Vitesse is also that way.

I need to replace the diff on my GT6 too, but I need to get hold of a 3.63 (or 3.27) one first. It's currently a 4.11 off a 13/60...

Rob, the guy I got my diff from says he has both of those diffs, I'll PM you his details.

The GT6 rotflex spring has fixed leaves like the Herald/ early Spitfire standard ones. Therefore I would be wary to fit it to a 4 stud diff as experience has shown if you do the same to a Herald etc ie. fit a fixed spring to a 4 stud diff, then the clamp plates have been know to snap.

thescrapman wrote:
You could fit a 6-stud rear case to your spare diff, only take 10 mins and a new gasket.

There ought to be plenty of rear cases floating about.

Great idea! I could use the rear case of the one I take off for now. I have a horrible image of a load of cogs falling out onto the floor when I open it, I take it the pinion wheel and the rest are located in the front of the case?!  ??)

Hi Bruce, when I last serviced the car I noticed the diff took a lot of oil, so wasn't too surprised when after a run quite a bit of it appeared on the garage floor! I thought the problem was the pinion oil seal so I changed that (it doesn't seem right to take a metal seal out and replace it with a flimsy rubber one!), after a test drive, well the next morning, there was still a puddle on the floor from the centre joint it seemed. When I was replacing the pinion seal I noticed there was quite a bit of play between the wheel moving and the prop moving, add that to the fact that it had started to make a faint noise and I don't know how long it had been running "dry" I thought it best to replace it! You are more than welcome to come round and give it a blast, always nice to have a second opinion!  ;)

Kev