Differential repair

Baldry1500

So an update.. The pin is out.

New Thrust washers in, but still some play. A carrier bearing got damaged in the removal of the pin so new bearings now on order from moss along with extra shims and bigger thrust washers as Moss do them in 4 sizes.

Looks like i may have a few late evenings this week 

Colin the side bearings with crown wheel removed you shim it till it is too tight then remove shims to the point it is not. You then refit the crown wheel and shuffle the shims to correct the mesh. The pinion is the opposite but same principal, you add shims to loosen instead of removing them.

Laurence

• 1 year later...

I am working on my spit iv diff. Anyone know where i can get some shims for the sun and planet gears. I took mine to bits, no shim behind the sun gear.  A very worn shim behind one planet and another marked .39 on the other.  The only place i could find shims was at Moss and ordered the thinnest of both. .39 planet and .35 sun. The sun gear is a funny material not copper. 

After fitting them without too many problems the gears have no end float but i cant move them by hand so i think i need some thinner.anyone know of some suppliers?