Question for three person teams

Hi all,

My other half, my brother and I are doing our second RBRR this year, having missed the 2014 event due to issues with the car.

We're trying to work out how best to cycle through the teams. We (I!) like to do it old school and refuse to use SatNav - for me it's not in the spirit of the event etc. So, we will be doing all our navigation by the route book and an atlas. This being the case, how do other three person teams cycle driver, navigator and 'passenger'. Do you find it's best to drive, then navigate then rest, or navigate, then drive, then rest.

I'm thinking it's best to drive first after resting, then navigate, then rest so the driver is always the freshest... Thoughts?

In the years when I've done three-person teams, I've usually worked on the base assumption of drive-navigate-rest but never stuck with it rigidly.

And I agree on the not using satnav - the only time I've ever missed a control stop was because we relied on the satnav programming instead of being properly familiar with the road book. (Well, possibly we might have arrived at one control after the marshals had left when the Toledo died on Dartmoor and had to be rested for half an hour before it would start again, but...)

Definitely agree to navigating the traditional way.  Sat nav was used in the Stag in "look ahead" mode last time purely to provide us with a clock (didn't exist in the Stag - oil pressure gauge fitted instead) and a reasonably accurate speedo (better than the bouncing needle!)  
This time we'll probably do the same, but haven't decided yet.  The speedo is better, but under reads a bit, and the 2000 has a clock ..... but it doesn't work! 😲  

We didn't find any real problems with tiredness, but we both drive a lot with work, so are used to it.

Our rota was:   drive, navigate/rest;  drive, navigate/rest;  drive, navigate/rest;  drive, navig........ etc. etc. etc. Continue as required 🙂

You can have a plan to all drive different stints, but it all goes out of the window as you will all feel tired/refreshed at different times

Regarding the satnav, we have one on at night, but we never set it to any check points. We use it more as as a safety feature. With a satnav you see the road layout ahead and watch out for any sharp bends that might catch you out. 🙂

We did Driving, navigating, sleeping on the back seat.
roughly each stint was 2 hours long, or however long it took driving between 2 fuel stops....

Shaun's not coming this year so it will be only Hans and myself, have not yet worked out how we'll be diving it now. guess the Satnav will have to be put into action. We also got lost last time round because the only one knowing how to use the thing was me and the otheres had relied too much on the thing, so when it said turn around in the middle of scotland they had to wake me up, not knowing where they were on the map....

I would love to use only map and roadsigns but the reality for us, driving on the"other" (was about to type wrong) side of the road with only a rough knowledge of where what city lies, is that there would be no sleep if we did.
So we will be using the Tripy, which basically is a satnav displaying tulip roadbooks made for bikers.

D

Anybody wanting to hitch a ride.....

Quoted from Saltddirk
We also got lost last time round because the only one knowing how to use the thing was me and the otheres had relied too much on the thing, so when it said turn around in the middle of scotland they had to wake me up, not knowing where they were on the map....

And that is why I don't like sat-navs! Plus map reading is a dying art. When I'm talking to other 'yoofs' about the rallies we do they asked if I looked on youtube to learn how to read a map.... NO! It's logic, if the map is wrong it's not the maps fault!!

I think, that sounds like how we'll do it as well, drive, navigate, sleep.

I'll do a two man team at some point, it's just having trust in the other person to be able to do it.